Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Owen Stewart

Owen Stewart, Sports Editor

Owen Stewart is a senior in his fourth year on staff. He serves as an Editor-in-Chief as well as a sports page editor for the Newsstreak. Owen plays baseball and golf for the school and is also a member of the DECA chapter. Next year, Owen will attend a school yet to be determined, where he will continue his baseball career and study business. In the future, Owen has many extravagant goals and aspirations, not limited to but including the following: becoming a top-notch sports agent, owning a Maserati, opening a sports academy, pioneering a minor league baseball franchise in Harrisonburg, growing a James Harden-esque beard, witnessing a Buffalo Bills Super Bowl and memorizing the entire script from the movie “Superbad.” Owen has plenty of hobbies, including Fantasy Football, disc golf and chronic procrastination. His favorite activity in journalism is supporting an unpopular sports opinion and writing a column about it.

All content by Owen Stewart
Collaborative 2019 NFL Mock Draft

Collaborative 2019 NFL Mock Draft

On Thursday, Apr. 25, the next wave of NFL talent will be realized. Each year in the NFL Draft, over 200 college players are selected by one of the 32 NFL franchises, and rise to the professional ranks....

March Madness begins Thursday Mar. 21.

Newsstreak March Madness Pool Live Results

Owen Stewart, Sports Editor March 21, 2019

The Newsstreak staff is partaking in a March Madness pool for the 2019 NCAA men's basketball tournament. Each person was permitted to enter up to three brackets.  Scoring: First round game = 10...

March Madness begins Thursday Mar. 21.

Your 2019 guide to March Madness

Owen Stewart, Sports Editor March 20, 2019

Ah, it's March Madness time again. Time for 68 teams to duke it out for the ultimate title of NCAA men's basketball champion. Time for brackets to be busted game after game, leaving millions of people...

Senior Jose Rocha takes a swing during a road contest in 2018.

Streaks fall to Albemarle in baseball opener

Owen Stewart, Sports Editor March 13, 2019

The varsity baseball team had a completely new look as they took on Albemarle in a non-district road contest to open the season. The starting infield, consisting of sophomore Diego Gallegos, freshmen Evan...

Junior Ann Diaz-Exposito (center) receives her medal for an outstanding test score. Diaz-Exposito is one of four DECA members who qualified for ICDC.

DECA attends States, sends four students to Internationals

Owen Stewart, Sports Editor March 6, 2019

For the second consecutive year, the HHS DECA chapter will send four participants past the state level of competition. At the Virginia State Leadership Conference in Virginia Beach, 20 members competed...

Wendy Pendleton shows off her Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever.

Pendleton returns to teaching, keeping roots in dog training

When the second semester began in January, there was a new face in the Summit Academy science department. Wendy Pendleton began her work at HHS after having not taught since 2010. During those years, Pendleton...

The Alliance of American Football (AAF) began play on Feb. 9, 2019,  just six days after the Super Bowl

AAF to take over NFL in next 10 years

Owen Stewart, Sports Editor February 21, 2019

The NFL has been the only notable professional football league in America since the 1960s when the AFL folded. The league has become a billion dollar industry and has essentially claimed Sunday afternoons...

Everything you need to know going into the Super Bowl

Owen Stewart, Sports Editor February 1, 2019

Super Bowl LIII (53) is a game of opposites. The upstart Los Angeles Rams are led by a young quarterback in Jared Goff, and a 33-year old head coach, Sean McVay. They are making their first appearance...

This is the album cover for Lil Pumps Lil Pump.

Trending down: Lil Pump

Owen Stewart, Sports Editor January 24, 2019

After blowing up with his bass-heavy, noise-making singles in 2017 and early in 2018, Lil Pump began to disappear from the rap charts late in the year, and his outlook for 2019 isn’t good. His newest...

This is the album cover for Gunna and Lil Babys Drip Harder.

Trending up: Gunna

Gunna has secured a series of spotlight features, including on Metro Boomin’s new album and with pre-incarceration Tekashi. While his ability to succeed on solo tracks is still somewhat of an unknown,...

This is the album cover for Lil Yachtys Lil Boat.

Trending down: Lil Yachty

When your biggest hit of the year is with Bhad Bhabie, you know there’s a problem. Far, far away from his days of fame at this point, Yachty has become a “feature-only” rapper. Almost all of his...

This is the album cover for Cardi Bs Invasion of Privacy.

Trending down: Cardi B

Cardi has become the epitome of “talk loud, get famous”. While I’ll admit that she is definitely solid as an entertainment host and comedian, her talent as a rapper is limited. She showcased a bright...

This is the album cover for 6ix9ines Dummy Boy.

Trending down: 6ix9ine

6ix9ine had arguably the biggest year of any rapper in 2018. His album, ‘DUMMY BOY’, featured multiple hit songs that became mainstays on RapCaviar towards the end of the year. Unfortunately, his past...

This is the album cover for Bluefaces Famous Crip.

Trending up: Blueface

The adlib of “Blueface babyyyy” is all over the place. Blueface, a rapper who has no rhythm whatsoever and sounds like a 12 year old in the middle of puberty, is on the way to the top. His songs “Respect...

This is the album cover for Sheck Wess Mudboy.

Trending down: Sheck Wes

Everything about Sheck Wes just screams one-hit wonder. His release of “Mo Bamba” generated immediate recognition and fame, and while the song has had staying power atop many charts, it appears that...

State of rap in 2019

State of rap in 2019

Owen Stewart and Noah Siderhurst January 24, 2019

With each new year comes new opportunities. This is certainly true in the rap game, though not everybody is on the rise. With that being said, here are five rappers with a great outlook for the upcoming...

Rocha goes up to bat during a game against Fort Defiance his junior year.

Tysinger, Rodriguez reflect on coaching Rocha

Owen Stewart, Sports Editor December 20, 2018

Jose Rocha didn’t take long to begin launching home runs into the creek behind Field 1 at Purcell Park. His rapid improvement drew eyes from coaches everywhere. He quickly gained a reputation, and current...

Jose Rocha throws a fastball down to a batter in the Regional semi-finals during his sophomore year. The game went to the tenth inning and ended with the Streaks having a walk win. The final score of 14-13 sent the Streaks to the state tournament.

Rocha, coaches reflect on college baseball commitment

Owen Stewart and Owen Marshall December 20, 2018

Senior Jose Rocha committed to play college baseball at Patrick Henry Community College (PHCC) on Nov. 14.

Week 13 Power Rankings: Saints suffer shocking loss as Seahawks, Cowboys arrive in top 10

The Houston Texans now have the league's longest winning streak. A 13-10 loss to Dallas ended New Orleans' previous ten game streak, and Houston's nine game run is now on top. Aside from Houston, some...

The Streaks huddle during a timeout as head coach Don Burgess speaks.

Streaks defeat Western Albemarle on road after strong start

Owen Stewart, Sports Editor December 5, 2018

The Butler family had a strong night in Crozet. Gym and driver’s education teacher Thomas Butler sunk a halfcourt shot to win $500 at halftime, and his son, junior Tre Butler, led the injury and flu-riddled...

Senior Evan Wood sits at the window on a snowy day writing poetry.

[Photo] Wood’s Poetry

December 5, 2018

Week 12 Power Rankings: Top three continue to win and playoff race shapens

The postseason is approaching fast. No byes remain, and in a year of many ups and downs, there isn't a single team that is mathematically eliminated from postseason contention. Five weeks remain, and there...

Blue Streaks Sports Talk Episode 1

Owen Stewart, Owen Marshall, Simon Beach, and Maya Waid November 30, 2018

The sports crew discusses winter athletics at HHS and national sports news.            

Senior Aaliyah Jordan sprints around the curve during her leg of the 4x200 meter relay at the Liberty Premier Invitational on Jan. 13.

[Photo] Jordan starts indoor track season strong

Ashley Iscoa, Page Editor November 29, 2018

Week 10 Power Rankings: Top teams keep winning as reigning champs continue to slide

Ten weeks into the regular season, the playoff picture is beginning to take shape. The Patriots, Rams and Steelers are unsurprising leaders of their respective divisions, but other shocking contenders...

Week 9 Power Rankings: Saints knock Rams off throne

At the halfway point of the season, the NFL has given us it's share of surprises, the latest being the league's lone undefeated team, the Rams, falling last week to New Orleans, who takes over as the unanimous...

5 reasons to try disc golf

5 reasons to try disc golf

Owen Stewart, Sports Editor October 30, 2018

When a friend first recommended the sport of disc golf to me a couple of summers ago, I was hesitant. Having never tried it, I saw disc golf as mundane and repetitive, but I decided to go anyways to see...

Week 7 Power Rankings: Real contenders separating from hot starters

Nearing the halfway point of the season, the pretenders and contenders are beginning to separate themselves. Only the Rams (7-0) remain undefeated, and the Saints and Chiefs are the only other one loss...

Junior Jahiem Anderson and senior Marcus Robinson-Jenkins celebrate a touchdown.

4 Things To Watch 4: Homecoming Football Game

Owen Stewart, Sports Editor October 25, 2018

With the Valley District title on the line, the Blue Streaks will host their first varsity football game in nearly a month, the homecoming game against Spotswood (7-1, 4-0). The teams are both riding winning...

Week 6 Power Rankings: Rams separate from pack as only undefeated team

And then there was one.  With Kansas City's loss to New England this week, the Rams (6-0), are now the only undefeated team in the league. Los Angeles has shown utter domination of the league thus...

Week 5 Power Rankings: Rams hold steady at top as other teams plunge

The NFL has been packed with plenty of inconsistencies this season, but within all of the wildness, the Los Angeles Rams and Kansas City Chiefs have separated themselves from the pack. The only 5-0 teams...

Week 4 Power Rankings: Last seasons contenders continue to struggle as Bears, Titans pick up huge wins

Week 4 Power Rankings: Last season’s contenders continue to struggle as Bears, Titans pick up huge wins

With the first quarter of the NFL season out of the way, it’s safe to say that this year is shaping up to be an interesting one. Only two undefeated teams remain, and just one team is currently winless....

Junior Jaydon Jackson works on his long snaps on the sidelines.

[Photo] Streaks run through Little Giants at Bridgeforth

Noah Siderhurst and Owen Stewart, Editors-in-Chief October 3, 2018

One of the iconic scenes from the movie Caddyshack, as the groundskeeper of the golf course attempts to catch the ever-elusive gopher.

Top Ten Sports Movies

Owen Stewart, Sports Editor September 27, 2018

One of the best ways to tell a story, whether true or made-up, is through a movie. Just like movies of other genres, some sports movies fall short when it comes to telling a story, and others stand out....

Week 3 Power Rankings: Rankings shaken up as upsets run rampant

Weeks 1 and 2 brought some excitement in the form of upsets and games going down to the wire, but neither came close to the shock of Week 3’s slate. Buffalo’s win over Minnesota was the largest NFL...

Week 2 Power Rankings: Trio of teams shake up rankings with 2-0 starts as Steelers slide

If you liked the twists and turns of the NFL's first week, the second week didn't disappoint either. All three Florida teams are currently 2-0 while both Pennsylvania teams have underwhelmed thus far....

Week 1 Power Rankings: Ravens, Jets soar; Bills, Titans sink quickly

The first week of the NFL season is complete. Some results were expected, whereas some were not. Our five panelists have learned a little bit about each team, and have updated their rankings. TRENDING...

NFL Power Rankings: Preseason Edition

NFL Power Rankings: Preseason Edition

With the 2018 NFL season just a week away, it’s becoming time to figure out where each team stands coming into the season. Here, five Newsstreak writers share their preseason power rankings, from best...

Some groups received a badge, seen here, after their presentations to the City Council on May 22.

Students present proposals at City Council meeting

Owen Stewart, Sports Editor June 1, 2018

As an alternative to AP Government and other social studies classes, some seniors and the occasional junior decide to enroll in a Government Field Experience class, where the students visit different places...

Senior Liam McGehee passes the ball during the regional quarterfinal against Patrick Henry.

Varsity Boys Soccer vs. Patrick Henry

Owen Stewart, Sports Editor May 29, 2018

When sophomore Anthony Lopez managed to bury a long free kick in the back of the net with just under three minutes to play, all of the momentum swung towards Harrisonburg as they cut a two goal deficit...

The writers Montgomery Biscuits hat.

Top 10 Names in Minor League Baseball

Owen Stewart, Sports Editor May 2, 2018

While the names of Major League Baseball’s 30 teams aren’t exactly examples of top of the line creativity, its affiliates in the minor leagues have recently become owners of some of the wildest names...

Band brings Disney to HHS with annual Tiny Tots concert

Owen Stewart, Sports Editor April 3, 2018

Each year, hundreds of local elementary schoolers flock to HHS to watch the school’s symphonic band perform Disney songs in an event called Tiny Tots. Tiny Tots debuted Mar. 20 this year, and featured...

Load More Stories
Activate Search
Owen Stewart