Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Do you feel that HHS and our city are inclusive environments for all cultures/ethnicities?

• Yes, I do (60%, 67 Votes)
  • We can improve (30%, 34 Votes)
  • No, I do not (10%, 11 Votes)

Total Voters: 112

Loading ... Loading ...

Journalism Special Feature: Tarpley Ashworth

Tarpley Ashworth (left).

When I say high school journalism class to you, what’s the first thing that comes to your mind?
Mrs. Kibler cracking the whip on me, good friends, working extra hours outside of school

Describe the best journalism trip you ever took.
Chicago–I learned a lot at this conference. One of the speakers name was Sandy Woodcock and my friends and I cracked up every time she took the podium.

What was the most memorable story you wrote and why?
When I was a freshman, I was assigned a story about Beach Week. I didn’t even know what Beach Week was. So there I was, a little freshman, going around to interview a bunch of seniors and get out of my comfort zone. I gradually educated myself about what Beach Week really was and it was a challenge to ask questions and quote the seniors, dancing around the liability issue about them drinking. I had to get the message across without actually coming out and saying what they were doing.

What skills did you take away from journalism class that you still use today.
Kibler always said that we would acquire a bunch of skills from Newsstreak that we would keep; I never thought it would happen and was very surprised to see her words come true. Journalism gets you outside your comfort zone; it breaks down barriers and allows you to talk to people that you normally never would. You have to seek information and learn how to find it. Newsstreak forces you to mature as a writer and as a person. Computer design skills I still use myself as well.

Why were you known as the “fontaholic”?
I would download different available fonts and get creative with them because I didn’t like how all the pages just used Times New Roman. So I used a multitude of fonts on my page. When the paper was sent to the DNR to be printed, they didn’t carry the fonts and my page looked really funny. It was a learning experience.

How did you change during your time in Newsstreak?
I certainly became a better writer, and gained confidence in my writing. I matured as a person as well.

Why do you recommend that students take journalism class in high school?
Any elective where students have to write, investigate, and use critical analysis is a great class. With journalism, you get to learn about the world around you and write about how it applies to students, the school, and the community; that is real knowledge.