Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Do you feel that HHS and our city are inclusive environments for all cultures/ethnicities?

• Yes, I do (60%, 67 Votes)
  • We can improve (30%, 34 Votes)
  • No, I do not (10%, 11 Votes)

Total Voters: 112

Loading ... Loading ...

Journalism Special Feature: Dombrowski sisters

Jessica Dombrowski (top left).

When I say high school journalism class to you, what’s the first thing that comes to your mind?

Jessica Dombrowski: The first thing that comes to mind would be best decision I ever made.  When I joined the Newsstreak my freshman year I was without a doubt, clueless.  A timid freshman, my writing skills were anything but spectacular and my interviewing skills?  Well, let’s just say they were non-existent.  At the time, I probably couldn’t have told you the last time I had picked up a newspaper, let alone read one and now I was going to be writing for one?  Needless to say I was a bit unsure of my undertaking.  After a few weeks in the class (okay maybe more like months), I settled into my role as a staff reporter.  I soon found myself reaching out to organizations and clubs within the school and community that I probably would not have otherwise approached.  The Newsstreak gave me the opportunity to meet and interact with so many different individuals outside of my network of friends and allowed me the chance to get to know these people and be able to call them a friend, not just a classmate.

Amanda Dombrowski: Mrs. Penton.

Describe the best journalism trip you ever took in high school.

Jessica Dombrowski: The best journalism trip I ever went on was definitely NYC my freshman year.  I had never been before and was completely awestruck the second I saw Times Square.   The trip was filled with a lot of firsts for me, including my first Broadway show, Wicked.  I was absolutely blown away by the performance and have since seen the show three more times!  Everything from the shopping and restaurants to the sightseeing and shows was a blast, especially since I surrounded by all my friends.  The conference we attended was like nothing I had been to before.  Never have I seen so many high school journalism students together at one time!  The best part was that as students, we were given the opportunity to choose which of the classes we wanted to go, based on our individual interests.
Amanda Dombrowski: Richmond
What was the best story you ever wrote in journalism class and why?
Jessica Dombrowski: My favorite story I wrote was during my senior year as the food page editor.  Smoothie King had just opened in Harrisonburg so I decided to make smoothies the theme for my page.  For my main article I decided to write about the grand opening of the new local business which just so happens to be one of my favorite places.  During my entire interview with the owner, he was constantly blending up different smoothies for me to taste test.  I think by the end of the hour I had sampled over 20 different varieties of their fruity concoctions!
Amanda Dombrowski: I was never a very good writer, but I was good at ad sales.
Describe something you learned in journalism class that you still use in your life, regardless of whether or not you’re a journalist.

Jessica Dombrowski: I think one of the biggest things I took away from journalism was time management.  When a paper is scheduled to be distributed on a certain date, there is no time to fall behind on deadlines.  I learned very quickly the importance of staying on top of my work and getting it done as efficiently as possible, a skill I have undoubtedly carried with me onto my college education.
Amanda Dombrowski: I learned to deal with owners of different stores.  It helped me a lot because being a business major, you need to do those types of things.