Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Do you feel that HHS and our city are inclusive environments for all cultures/ethnicities?

• Yes, I do (60%, 67 Votes)
  • We can improve (30%, 34 Votes)
  • No, I do not (10%, 11 Votes)

Total Voters: 112

Loading ... Loading ...

Journalism Special Feature: Sean Rolon

Sean Rolon (on left) reflects on his Newsstreak experience. Photo courtesy of Valerie Kibler.

Sean Rolon, Newsstreak Alumnus:

When I say high school journalism class to you, what’s the first thing that comes to your mind?
Mrs. Kibler,  lots of good memories

Describe the best journalism trip you ever took in high school.
The Chicago trip my senior year was a 15 hour bus ride. Everyone else fell asleep on the bus, but not me. I’m too tall for that. I stayed up all night, anxiously awaiting our arrival. Once we get there, we check in and our hotel was awesome. The conference went really well, it was very informative and we were all able to learn a lot. The food in Chicago is obviously really good, and we went to this great pizza place. There was a lot of bonding on the trip, which made it even more fun. Then of course, we had a great 15 hour bus ride back a few days later.

Tell me about a friend you made in journalism that you might not have made otherwise and how do you still keep in touch?
Yes there were several friends I would not have made otherwise, we still contact each other and talk sometimes—a few years ago Kibler organized a cruise and we all went with her.

Describe something you learned in journalism class that you still use in your life, regardless of whether or not you’re a journalist.
I learned how to engage people into a story with just one sentence. I learned how to be concise with my writing and I learned how to edit very well. All of these skill helped me substantially when I got to college. Another aspect that was very useful from newspaper was the outreach to the community. I was able to learn how to communicate with people I didn’t know, which is a very food skill to have in life.

Why were you known as “Sasquatch”?
Ah, sasquatch. I am assuming I got that nickname becasue I am very tall (6’5”) and lumbered around the classroom all the time. There would be days when I would never get to hear my own name because everyone would refer to me as Sasquatch. I took it in stride and made it my own. I often look back and get a good laugh out of those days. Back in high school, Valerie and some of us would go to luinch or dinner rather often, and we frequented one restaurant in particular (O’Charley’s). Inside O’Charley’s there is a large painting of a Sasquatch Crossing road sign on the wall, and everytime we went there for dinner, some kind of quirk was made. It has been a nickname that thankfully didn’t follow me to college but i know whenever I walk into her classroom, there is always that chance of a Sasquatch mention. I will laugh every time and cherish these good memories.

How did you change over the years in Newsstreak?
I changed a lot during my time with the Newsstreak. I came in as a spoiled kid, never kept my mouth shut, and was always quick to be disrespectful. I left a calmer, quieter, and much more respectful man when I graduated. I had no identity when I came in, and left knowing what I wanted to do with my life. I attribute most of this to Valerie. Without her guidance, patience, willingness to listen, and involvement in my life, I have no doubt that I would not have turned out as well. I will always be grateful for her role in my life, and love knowing that I can still give her a hard time every now and then.

Why would you recommend that a student take journalism in high school?
I think kids should take newspaper in high school because of the community aspect of the class with Valerie. It really has a family feel, and allows for students from all walks of life to interact with each other and make friends that they may not have had without journalism. It can give students a sense of belonging, which is certainly very important to many high schoolers. Not only that, but it teaches really good skills in writing and editing that help in college.

What is one of your favorite memories from Newsstreak?
Mrs. Kibler, Tarpley Ashworth and I traveled up to Washington D.C. to watch a Redskins-Cowboys game. I was a junior, and Mrs. Kibler and I were starting to get along better and become friends. However, I am a diehard Cowboys fan, and Mrs. Kibler is a Redskins fan.  That night the Cowboys beat the Redskins, and  I  wore her out with all my trash talk. We had to wait three hours to get to the car, and Tarpley and I fell asleep on the way back while Mrs. Kibler drove home. We got back to Harrisonburg around four in the morning. The day after the game was a Monday and Mrs. Kibler went and taught her class anyways. Tarpley and I just slept in the back of the class.

Any more memorable adventures in Newsstreak?
While the football game was awesome, the trips to New York, Washington, Richmond, and Chicago were so much fun as well. It was great to go to a major city with a bunch of friends. There is not quite anything else like it. But I think my favorite memories from journalism come from sitting in the classroom after or before school, doing work to meet the deadlines.It was during these times that we were able to have great conversations with Valerie and my other friends in the class. The interactions with others, all working towards the same goal, was definitely the best part of journalism. Taking this class was by far the best decision I ever made during high school. I am so thankful for the oppurtunity, and even more grateful that Valerie didn’t give up on me during my crazy Freshman year when I wasn’t very kind to her.