Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Holly Bill

Holly Bill, Head Editor in Chief

Holly Bill is a senior at Harrisonburg High School and Head Editor in Chief of the Newsstreak. This is, sadly, her fourth and final year on staff, and she’s not looking forward to leaving this publication behind. However, she’s more than ready to get out of the Burg and into the world. Holly will be spending her senior year running and swimming in addition to attempting to manage college applications. Her updated list of favorite things includes Smith Mountain Lake, “Lord of the Rings,” power naps, Vanilla Coke, “Shake It Out (Glee Cast Version)” and her younger brother.

All content by Holly Bill
At the construction site of the new high school, no Nielsen builders are currently allowed on the site until the change order allows them to resume building.

City Council votes for real estate tax increase, secures HHS2 funding 

Holly Bill, Head Editor in Chief May 26, 2021

Last night, City Council voted 4-1 to approve the four-cent real estate tax increase for Harrisonburg property owners. This increase in tax revenue will go toward paying the necessary bonds in order to...

HCPS staff arrive in the HHS gymnasium commons to receive their COVID-19 vaccine in February.

Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine approved for use in 12 to 15 year olds

Holly Bill, Head Editor in Chief May 14, 2021

Monday, May 10, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine for use in individuals 12 and older. Previously, the Pfizer vaccine was authorized for persons over...

Freshman Abby Vance runs on the track during a practice. Vance ran in the 400m dash and the 4x400m relay in the meet.

Outdoor track opens season with home tri-meet

Holly Bill, Head Editor in Chief May 6, 2021

Yesterday, May 5, the outdoor track team hosted their first meet of the season versus Rockbridge High School and Spotswood High School. Outdoor track practices began April 12, so this meet was held just...

The boys cross country team huddles before their race. The boys team placed second at the regional meet, qualifying them as a team for the state championship.

Cross country runs in Class 5 State Championships

Holly Bill, Head Editor in Chief April 24, 2021

The building site for HHS2 is located between South Main Street and Interstate 81.

Proposed city budget excludes HHS2 funding due to pandemic economic impacts

Holly Bill, Head Editor in Chief April 16, 2021

After halting the construction of HHS2 at the start of the coronavirus pandemic, the Harrisonburg City Council and School Board set a goal to resume the building of Harrisonburg’s second high school...

(Photo taken October 2019) Skyline Middle School students walk around the track on Walking Wednesday prior to their first class of the day. All Skyline Middle students will have the opportunity to return to in-person learning April 26.

K-8 HCPS students will return to in-person instruction April 26

Holly Bill, Head Editor in Chief April 1, 2021

March 23, the Harrisonburg City Public Schools (HCPS) School Board approved the next phase of the return to in-person schooling plan. All elementary and middle school students will be sent back to school....

Eighth grader Lucas Swartz assists community members in placing their sneakers into the recycling box.

Thomas Harrison’s NJHS holds sneaker recycling drive, will use profit to plant trees

Holly Bill, Head Editor in Chief March 25, 2021

Five pillars constitute the National Junior Honor Society (NJHS), and one of these is service. Thomas Harrison Middle School’s (THMS) chapter of the NJHS is currently hosting a sneaker recycling drive...

(Photo taken in 2019) Sophomore Anish Aradhey won a regional Gold Key award followed by a national Silver Medal for his poetry.

Aradhey wins silver medal at National Scholastic Art and Writing Awards

Holly Bill, Head Editor in Chief March 18, 2021

The Alliance for Young Artists and Writers annually recognizes the best creative work by teens across the nation with the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards. Founded in 1923, the program is the oldest...

Members of the Newsstreak pose for a photo in their staff merchandise. The Newsstreak editors make all final decisions of content for their publication. This is one of the standards for the First Amendment Press Freedom Award.

School recognized for First Amendment protection with Press Freedom Award

Holly Bill, Head Editor in Chief March 7, 2021

Harrisonburg High School has been named a 2021 recipient of the First Amendment Press Freedom Award. Given by the Journalism Education Association, the National Scholastic Press Association and the Quill...

Taylor Swift released her first re-recorded song, Love Story (Taylors Version), Feb. 12. The rest of the album (Fearless (Taylors Version)) will be available April 9.

“Love Story (Taylor’s Version)” highlights nostalgia of Swift’s older music, showcases her maturity

Holly Bill, Head Editor in Chief March 4, 2021

All of the sudden, the lights go dark. Everyone in the audience screams in response, knowing who’s about to arrive. Neon glow sticks illuminate the arena, and everyone’s hearts beat in sync.  Just...

HCPS teachers and staff wait in the gymnasium of Harrisonburg High School for their vaccination.

Teachers will begin virtual classes on-site March 1

Holly Bill, Head Editor in Chief February 16, 2021

The first week of March will mark a significant step on the path back to in-person studies at Harrisonburg High School. Starting Monday, March 1, teachers will be returning to the school building to...

Senior Dorothy Yates after a successful competition cheer routine last year, embracing her mother and late grandmother.

Dorothy Yates

Holly Bill, Head Editor in Chief January 19, 2021

Q: How long have you been doing gymnastics and why did you decide to start? A: I’ve been doing gymnastics ever since I was three or four years old. I started because my mom [saw] me doing somersaults...

(Photo taken March 17, 2020) Principal Melissa Hensley assists with meal distribution to families. Since lockdown began, bagged meals have been provided for Harrisonburg City Public Schools students. Meal distribution continues to go really well. Lots of folks [are] coming out for that on a daily basis, Hensley said. [I’m] glad to see the community and students taking advantage of that. I’m [also glad] we’re able to provide it and that folks are able to get out here to access [it].

Hensley addresses difficulties, successes following Quarter 1, looks to future possibilities

Holly Bill, Head Editor in Chief November 23, 2020

In her second year at Harrisonburg High School, Principal Melissa Hensley had to pivot from managing an overcrowded school building to administering nearly 1,900 students spread across the city from her...

Assistant distance coach and ELL teacher Abigail Shelly oversees the Oct. 14 preseason distance practice. Shelly coordinates and coaches the runners through the strength and circuit workouts during the practices.

Shelly joins community as ELL teacher, distance coach

Holly Bill, Head Editor in Chief October 19, 2020

If one encountered new English-language learners (ELL) teacher and distance coach Abigail Shelly during her first months in Harrisonburg, they likely would have noticed a “yes ma’am” or a “no...

Counselor Anda Weaver helps junior Dilsy Rodriguez Sanchez schedule her classes for the 2020-2021 school year.

New college adviser to host introductory and informational session

Holly Bill, Head Editor in Chief August 31, 2020

New college adviser Anna Du will be hosting a Google Meet to both introduce herself to the HHS community and share how she can support HHS seniors in the college application process. The meeting will be...

This aerial image of the HHS football field shows Stations 5-10 of the on-site graduation event.

Hensley announces new plans for on-site graduation

Holly Bill, Head Editor in Chief May 13, 2020

Principal Melissa Hensley has announced that in addition to the virtual graduation ceremony, an on-site graduation will be occurring June 3, 4 and 5 to celebrate the Class of 2020. After viewing how other...

3:00 p.m. Kirwan goes on a run.

Sophomore Kate Kirwan

Holly Bill, Head Editor in Chief May 3, 2020

8:00 a.m. Lankford wakes up.

Junior Emma Lankford

HHS principal Melissa Hensley rolls bagged food to give to families during the COVID-19 lockdown.

(UPDATED 4/17/20 12:00 p.m.) Q&A with Principal Melissa Hensley about Harrisonburg High School’s coronavirus closure

Holly Bill, Head Editor in Chief April 17, 2020

UPDATED AS OF APRIL 17, 2020 AT 12:00 P.M. Interview April 14, 2020 at 10:05 p.m Can you describe how the rest of the academic year will function online?  "New academic content will...

Junior Carlo Mehegan and Harrisonburg High School teacher Seth Shantz demonstrate  respect between a student and teacher with a handshake and a smile

The disrespect problem of Harrisonburg High School

Harrisonburg High School has a respect issue. Students aren’t respectful to each other. Students aren’t respectful to their teachers. And, in some cases, teachers aren’t respectful to their students....

Melissa Hensley works on her computer during her first week as new principal of HHS in summer 2019.

Hensley settles into principal role, sets goals for future

Holly Bill, Head Editor in Chief April 12, 2020

At the start of the 2019-2020 school year, Harrisonburg High School saw the addition of many new faces in the hallways, including the new head of school, Melissa Hensley. This past January marked...

College Board announces online AP tests

College Board announces online AP tests

Holly Bill, Head Editor in Chief March 20, 2020

As of March 20, 2020, College Board has announced that Advanced Placement exams for the 2019-2020 school year will be held online and at home. Traditional exams will not be taking place, rather, a 45-minute...

Load More Stories

Comments (0)

All HHS Media Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest
Activate Search
Holly Bill