Outdoor track opens season with home tri-meet

Adrian Kavazovic

Freshman Abby Vance runs on the track during a practice. Vance ran in the 400m dash and the 4x400m relay in the meet.

Yesterday, May 5, the outdoor track team hosted their first meet of the season versus Rockbridge High School and Spotswood High School. Outdoor track practices began April 12, so this meet was held just a few weeks after the start of the season. The girls team finished in first place with 68 points, and the boys team finished in second place with 44.5 points behind Spotswood.

On the girls team, first place finishes included sophomore Nicole Gonzalez-Trejo in the 200m dash with a time of 29.18, freshman Annie Poirot in the 800m run with a time of 2:37.98, sophomore Mia Beauzieux in the 100m hurdles with a time of 18.80, sophomore Maya Sarco in the pole vault and shot put and junior Sophia Yoder in the triple jump. Other standout performers included freshman Enas Sharhabeel (second, 100m dash), freshman Abby Vance (second, 400m dash), junior Kate Kirwan (second, 1600m run) and junior Jay Vega Garcia (second, high jump). The girls 4x400m relay consisted of freshman Lena Blagg, Vance, senior Isabel Campillo and Poirot, and the team placed second behind Spotswood with a time of 4:58.36.

On the boys team, first place finishes included junior Javante Chacon in the 100m dash with a time of 11.64, senior David Beck in the 800m run with a time of 1:57.73 and the 1600m run with a time of 4:26.18, sophomore Jadon Burgess in the triple jump and the 110m hurdles with a time of 20.80 and junior Jaimere Beauzieux in the pole vault. Other standout performers included senior Hayden Kirwan (second, 3200m run) and sophomore Evan GeislerĀ  (fifth, 200m and 400m dash). The boys 4x800m relay consisted of sophomore Liam Wightman, freshman Nathaniel Bunn, freshman Matthew Rush and Kirwan, and the team placed second behind Spotswood with a time of 9:21.24.

The outdoor track team will be traveling to Waynesboro Monday, May 10 for their second meet of the season. They will be competing against Waynesboro High School and Turner Ashby High School. Field events will begin at 5:00 p.m. and running events will begin at 5:30 p.m.