Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Do you feel that HHS and our city are inclusive environments for all cultures/ethnicities?

• Yes, I do (60%, 67 Votes)
  • We can improve (30%, 34 Votes)
  • No, I do not (10%, 11 Votes)

Total Voters: 112

Loading ... Loading ...
Boys Varsity soccer vs Millbrook

Boys Varsity soccer vs Millbrook

May 13, 2024

Governor STEM Academy hosts biannual career fair

May 2, 2024

JV softball vs. East Rock 4/19/24

JV softball vs. East Rock 4/19/24

May 2, 2024

Journalism Special Feature: Bobby Hawthorne

Bobby Hawthorne's textbook, "The Radical Write."

How did you get involved in journalism?
My first involvement was as a junior in high school. I liked to write and Newspaper seemed like an easy elective so I joined the class; I was wrong though. I then got a job at the Daily Newspaper and got a degree in journalism from the University of Texas. I taught until I retired in 2006 and now I still teach and write. I travel around and get invited to teach and write books which is good because it’s two thing I like.

Do you prefer teaching or writing?
Well I like both because they’re ego-inflating. I like to interact with students and I like the ebb and flow of working with people. But I’m a better teacher if I’m working with people, because then I know I still know what I’m talking about. I like to be a teacher who can also do.

What is your advice for aspiring journalists?
I say to think about it. The market is changing so profoundly. There are a lot of jobs but I’m not sure if there is much money. You must be passionate.

What is your advice to teachers?
Teachers now are not teaching anything different than they did 20 years ago; how you deliver the news is irrelevant. All students first must master the basics and always maintain journalistic integrity. A newspaper should be as close to the truth as it can be.

What was one of the most memorable moments of your teaching career?
Two summers, 1998 and 1999, I was asked to teach in Hungary. The kids there were so hungry for information and I had a profound experience. In comparison, American kids are spoiled and lazy. In Hungary, the students were curios, diligent and aggressive. They were fearless and would go get a story no matter what.

Why do you think it is important to teach journalism?
I think as part of being a human being everyone needs to know how to write clearly. I have always been afraid that people who can’t write clearly can’t think clearly. If someone can’t think clearly then how can we expect them to vote? Also, reporting is 90% of a journalist’s job. You have to be bold enough to go talk to anyone. Mousy people have no business being a journalist.

Who have been some of your mentors?
My mentors were really just people that I was fortunate enough to have them take me under their wing. The best piece of advice I ever received was from another reporter when I was just in high school. This person saw me writing a story on track and just collecting stats and scores. He said why don’t you just go talk to someone? Through that I learned one of the most profound lessons, that people make stories.

You can read Bobby Hawthorne’s thoughts here on his blog: http://bobbyhawthorne.blogspot.com/