Q&A with Hope Persinger

Q: What has been your favorite part of freshman year?

A: “Meeting new people definitely, and being able to see what I’m good at.”

Q: What are you most looking forward to this year?

A: “The volleyball season definitely, and then homecoming and just fun school stuff or group stuff.”

Q: What was your worst fear coming into high school?

A: “First of all not making the volleyball team, I was really scared about that. Also not having any friends, but then I made it onto the volleyball team so I had lots of friends that I could count on.”

Q: Have those fears changed?

A: “Yeah definitely, I’ve met a lot of people outside of volleyball too so it’s not just volleyball.”

Q: What is the worst part of being a freshman?

A: “I think everyone kind of hates you. People kind of look down on you because you’re a freshman. It’s not as bad as I thought, but it’s definitely something different.”

Q: What is your favorite class so far?

A: “English 9 Honors with Ms. Hostetter.

Q: Why?

A: “It’s just a really fun class and she just makes it fun. We do class bonding stuff.”

Q: What is your least favorite/hardest class so far?

A: “Geometry because I’m just not very good at math when it comes to geometry stuff.”

Q: Who is your favorite teacher so far?

A: “Ms. Hostetter, definitely. I also like Ms. Corrston though, she teaches my Dance 1 class.”

Q: What extracurricular activities are you involved in?

A: “I play for the JV volleyball team.”

Q: How has volleyball helped you get used to high school faster?

A: “The thing that has helped me from being on the volleyball team is then I walk into a new class, there is somebody there that is on my team or something, or at lunch there is somebody sitting there who’s on my team so I have somebody to sit with.”

Q: Has high school been overwhelming at any point?

A: “At first I was scared before I came to school, but then once I got here I realized it wasn’t as as bad as I thought. I just went along with it and it hasn’t been really stressful or overwhelming and stuff.

Q: Why did you attend HHS instead of a private high school?

A: “Well the private school I went to doesn’t do high school and my parents always say you  have to go out into the real world sometime, so the sooner you do it the better. At my old school their goal was to build a strong foundation for us as we went out into the real world, so they prepared us for it.”

Q: What was your transition from private school to public school like?

A: “It was definitely different. There are a lot more people here obviously, but honestly I that better because I’m more of a people person. At my old school everybody knew everything about you and here it’s a new start, so I really like that.”

Q: What are some similarities and differences between private and public school?

A: “If you don’t get along with somebody you can avoid them in public school and you don’t have to put up with them. You can walk away and you don’t have to see them, but at my old school there were 14 people in each grade, at most, so it was really hard. If you didn’t get along with somebody you had to push through it and not get mad at them and go off on them, so that was really hard.”

Q: Which form of learning do you prefer, private or public?

A: “I like the HHS learning system better because at my old school they pushed you so hard to where you basically got bad grades and so it was just really hard. They pushed you to your limits, but here you get to see what you’re good at and practice that. You always have to practice the stuff you’re not so good at, but you still get a chance at everything.At my old school you pretty much had to do well at everything.”

Q: Was is easy to become friends with a lot of new people?

A: “Yeah it definitely is. I’m a people person so automatically when I see someone new I try to say hi to them and try to get to know them. There are a lot of people that I’ve become really good friends with that are not on my team that I still enjoy being around and stuff.”

Q: Did you have any conflicts while choosing your freshmen classes?

A: “Not really. I kind of knew what I wanted and went for it. There were some classes I didn’t want to take but I had to get the credit for, so I obviously took those.”

Q: What classes do you plan to take in the future?

A: “I want to be an architect when I get older, so I obviously have to be good at that stuff so in the future I want to be able to go to MTC and take the architectural program there. I also want to minor in dance when I go to college because I really love dancing and I’m taking Dance 1 right now.”

Q: What advice would you give to someone who is transferring here from another school (or private school) or someone who is just an up coming freshmen?

A: “I would definitely say don’t be afraid to talk to people. The more you talk to people the more you get to know people, and the more people you know the more friends you have, and you’ll just have more fun in high school if you have friends. If you just sit awkwardly and don’t talk to anybody then you’re probably not going to have many friends, so go for it.”