World language paella dinner raises money for exchange program

The+McIntires+serve+paella+during+the+event.+
The McIntires serve paella during the event.

Emma Lankford

Emma Lankford

On Saturday, May 5, the students in the Salamanca exchange program hosted a fundraiser in the high school’s cafeteria. They served paella, which consists mainly of rice, beans, meat and different types of seasoning.

Spanish teacher Philip Yutzy, the trip coordinator, has been working with the students to make sure all of the trip requirements are met.

“We have an exchange [program] with Salamanca, Spain. It’s been approved by the school board, so it’s actually going to be a big, long field trip in November for our students to go there. Dr. Kizner[‘s] most urgent concern was that nobody be left out of the opportunity because of finances. So, we as a group have committed to do fundraising to raise as much money as possible to help each other go on the trip,” Yutzy said.

The exchange students will not only be experiencing Spanish culture in Salamanca, but in their own homes as well.

“[In Spain,] people are going to be staying with a host family, whom they will likely host in their home. We will be attending their school to some degree [as well]. We will also go out and see different parts of that area of Spain,” Yutzy said.

Junior Nathan McIntire, one of the students going on the trip, participated in the first trial of this particular fundraiser.

“[The event has no history]. As far as I know, it’s a new year and a new kind of event. I do have personal experience with paellas. My parents, when I was younger, would cook paella on special occasions. Then, over time, they wanted to help me and my brother’s college fund, so they started Paella Perfecta, which is our family’s food truck,” McIntire said.

Although it was the first time holding the event, it appeared to be successful.

“We seemed satisfied [with the turnout]. We sold out of chicken and sausage, so that was pretty good,” McIntire said.

While this may have been the first paella fundraiser held for the Spanish exchange program, it will likely not be the last.

“[The idea was formed when] Yutzy had everyone that was going to Spain [brainstorm]. He knew that me and my brother’s parents had Paella Perfecta, and he asked if he could get in contact with my parents to see if they’d help sponsor an event to do with this kind of stuff,” McIntire said. “I believe we’ll try to do at least one other one, so if anyone wants to try paella, and just wasn’t able to do it, they can have another chance.”