Teen Band Night – an end of an era

Ellie Plass, Style Editor

Teen Band Night marked the end of an era. Help Wanted, the band fronted by HHS senior Abe Nouri, played the last public show of their high school career. The band began when the members were just in middle school, and slowly turned into a favorite for not only the school’s music students, but every person who attends HHS.

“Some of the most special moments happened when we were writing songs. Just the feeling of writing something, and when you first write it it feels like the best thing you’ve ever written. It was so special being with everyone saying ‘That sounds cool, let’s do that’,” Nouri said.

Although the band mostly sang covers of hit (and some very less hit) songs, they did have a brief career writing their own music.

“Getting to perform was great. We’re all in a lot of classical ensembles but we got to pick this, sing songs that we liked, play in different settings,” said Nouri.

The other members of the band include seniors Jack Adamek and Michael Knapp, sophomore Evan Dotas, and TA seniors Ellen Atwood and Sean Newman.

Despite the grievances over losing one of Harrisonburgs oldest teen bands, the end of one era is always the beginning of another. The band known as Hours of Operation leaves behind HHS sophomore Jaymie Inouye, and the new band This Side Up has just made it’s way onto the music scene.

“”The best moment was the group song we did at the end, because it wasn’t just about Help Wanted or Hours of Operation or This Side Up, it was about the whole night. The point was to share good music, for the community,” said Nouri.

While you’ve seen the last of Help Wanted for now, that doesn’t mean they’ll be gone forever.

“We’ve talked about coming back over breaks and playing first night or teen band night gigs,” said Nouri.

No matter how things turned out, it’s a sure thing that there will always be music at HHS for those who wish for it.