Super FAFSA Week helps seniors apply for financial aid

Julexus Cappell, OpEd Editor

February 3-8 was Harrisonburg High School’s Super FAFSA Week, a process of explaining financial aid for higher education. This was the first time such a program has been offered at HHS or in our region.

“It’s the first time in the state of Virginia. It used to be ‘Super Saturday’; now it is FAFSA Week,” guidance counselor Lisa Warren said.

FAFSA is essential to 78% of college students in the United States, and Super FAFSA Week has helped identify which kinds of financial aid are beneficial to different students. Not only that, but Super FAFSA week is assisted help by guidance counselors at school.

“[FAFSA] helps students to be eligible for free government money and low interest loans. The reason it is beneficial the most is because it makes college more affordable,” Warren said.

Super FAFSA Week has opened the library lab up for seniors to fill out the FAFSA form during 2nd and 3rd block the entire week. This time has been crucial and highly appreciated for seniors such as Samuel Velez.

“They answered all my questions and made the whole process seem easy,” Velez said.

Not only was the lab available, but also there have been designated nights for the same purpose. The program even included a meeting in late January to explain Super FAFSA Week before hand, explaining the process to parents and students. On February 5 the labs were open from 5pm to 8pm to help with FAFSA completion, along with on February 8 from 10a.m. to noon. Both of those times were open to the public and not just HHS students.

“[Super FAFSA Week] will be returning next year,” Warren said.

Another perk to the week other than the trivia game on the announcements was the possible reward at the end of completion.

“Students who completed their FAFSA are eligible for $500 scholarships,” Warren said.