Indoor track opens up season with win

Indoor track opens up season with win

The HHS girls indoor track team brushed off the rust, and dusted the competition with a 35-point win in the season-opening Spotswood Mini Invite, a 6-team meet, at Eastern Mennonite University. The Streaks won over runner up Spotswood with a final score of 109-74.  The Streaks swept the relays, getting first with the 4×800 team of junior Brenna Cowardin, senior Celia Ehrenpreis, freshman Lydia Ligouri, and junior Laurie Serrell.  The 4×200 team of junior Camille Cummings, sophomores Faith Runnells and Olivia Yutzy, and junior Mikaela William, along with the 4×400 relay of senior Soleen Barzanji, Ehrenpreis, Yutzy and Cummings also placed first in their events. Quite possibly the most exciting event was senior Rebekah Good’s performance in the shot put. Good’s best throw was 38-4, which qualified her for the state meet and earned her a new school record. The original record of 35-4.25 was set by Good last indoor season.

“I honestly didn’t know that I had qualified for states right then and there but now that I know my heart is just racing and I’m so happy that I don’t have to worry about it anymore.  Now I’m just focusing on hitting 43 ft and placing first in the state meet” Good said.

Another great accomplishment for the team was the Streaks 2-3-4-5-6 finish from senior Julie Raab, Ligouri, juniors Nicole Downey and Hannah Purcell, and freshman Molly Campillo in the 3200, good for 21 points.

The Blue Streak boys took the lead in the meet, but could not hold it by the end allowing Fort Defiance to win the meet over HHS with a score of 96-93.  The boys 4×800 team of sophomore Takaeem Martin, junior Nathan Wood, and sophomores Nick Deutsch and Paul Weiss, along with the 4×200 relay of senior John Weiss, sophomore Devin Medley, and juniors Isaiah Hartzler and Tim Zepp won both of their events for the team. The teams best event was the 500, with senior Chris MacAdam, and freshmen Yusuf Aboutabl, Patrick Badia, and John Ligouri, earning the places of 1-3-4-6, for 21 points.

Some Streaks will compete next Wednesday at the Fort Defiance Mini-Polar Bear meet. The varsity team will next compete at the January 4th Bulldog Invitational at our home away from home, Liberty University’s Tolsma Indoor Track Facility.