Cross Country teams compete at annual Running with the Wolves Invitational

Sydney Little, Online Editor-in-Chief

On Saturday the Harrisonburg cross country teams traveled to Lynchburg to compete in the Running with the Wolves Invitational.  Although the teams have to travel two hours to arrive at the meet site, both teams have traveled there annually because of its distinctive differences from other meets around the area. The invitational hosts over 15 schools from around Virginia and includes a boys and girls JV and Varsity race, each containing over 100 runners. Unlike most invitationals, at Running with the Wolves, there are radios blasting music at locations all over the course.

“I liked the whole atmosphere of the meet. It was very fun and unique,” freshman Molly Campillo said.

The start of the race instead of being signaled by a gun or whistle, is initiated by a man, who waves a flag in the shape of a red flame towards the ground as the music stops.  Another trademark of the invitational are several logs placed across the course that requires the runners to leap over them during the race.

Overall the girls team placed 11th out of 16 teams and the boys placed eighth out of 18.  Sophomore Abrham Amine was the only runner from Harrisonburg to get a medal, placing 14th with a time of 17:31.  Although junior Brenna Cowardin didn’t receive a medal, Cowardin finished in 35th place with a time of 21:41 and was the first girl on the team to finish.

“My time was decent. I started out way faster than I expected, but I guess that’s what happens when you’re racing in a bigger group of runners,” Cowardin said.

At this race in particular, both teams were accompanied by several eighth graders who got a chance to experience cross country before making their decision about joining the team next fall.  The streaks next competition will be at the Conference 23 meet next wednesday at Burtner Farm.

Photos courtesy of Heidi Raab