Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Do you feel that HHS and our city are inclusive environments for all cultures/ethnicities?

• Yes, I do (60%, 67 Votes)
  • We can improve (30%, 34 Votes)
  • No, I do not (10%, 11 Votes)

Total Voters: 112

Loading ... Loading ...

HHS takes first at One Act district competition

Sam St. Ours’ hand kindly presents the trophy won on Saturday.

It’s surprising to think that it’s been a month and a half since a collection of students began their dedicated period of daily rehearsal, but finally on Saturday Oct. 20, they were ready to compete in the VHSL Valley District One Act Competition. The event was hosted by the one and only HHS, making it debatable whether it was expected from the start or simply a pleasant coincidence that our school managed to secure the winner’s trophy. Described by one of the four judges Robert Bowen Smith as “at the same level as that of a college performance”, the Streaks’ production of Elephant’s Graveyard left a substantial impact on members of the audience, to the point of some even shedding a tear for the emotionality that the play carried. Harrisonburg hasn’t had a district win since 2007, mainly placing as runners up instead.

Runners-up this year were Turner Ashby High School placing second with their performance of The Cave Dwellers and Broadway High School, who placed third performing The Formula.

HHS also dominated in the individual awards section, winning three-fourths of the available awards. Seniors Sam St. Ours and Samantha Heitsch won golds for best actor and actress respectively. Senior Paul Hairston won silver as another notable actor and senior Maggie Siciliano received an honorable mention.

“Obviously I’m so pleased for my individual award, but our group win means so much more. Working as part of a bigger ensemble is what helps me draw the energy needed for this role,” St. Ours said.

“It came as a surprise to me, but I think being immersed in the atmosphere we create onstage is what allows me to get into the skin of someone entirely different from myself. I owe so much to [the cast],” Heitsch said.

This victory means HHS will advance to the regional championship held at William Byrd High School in Roanoke on Nov. 10, alongside the two runners-up from the district. Placing in the top three here will mean a chance to compete at the prestigious state championships taking place in December.

Much sooner however, is the Virginia Theatre Association conference, which will take place this weekend, from Oct. 26, in Reston. The cast will also be looking to win some awards here, separate from the VHSL league. In the meantime, look out for more One Act coverage along the way right here on Newsstreak.com!