JV baseball loses game against Stuarts Draft

Louis Gibson

Before the top of the third inning, freshman Billy Perritt (pitcher) warms up along with his teammates. Perritt threw 1.2 innings on Monday.

Louis Gibson, Page Editor

Monday, March 20, the junior varsity (JV) baseball team hosted the Cougars of Stuarts Draft. Throughout the game, the Blue Streaks proved to be overmatched against the Cougars and got ‘slaughter ruled’ after four innings. The ‘slaughter rule’ is in effect when a team leads by 10 or more runs after 4 innings. If that is the case then the game will be called instead of going the usual seven innings.

The starting pitching matchup pitted two sophomores against each other. For the Blue Streaks, Andrew Johnson made his first start of the season, while for the Cougars, Jerrad Terrell got the start.

Top 1:

The Cougars got off to a fast start. The Cougars drew a walk against Johnson in their first at bat. The walk was followed up by a hit, then by a double steal. The Cougars had two runners in scoring position. It looked like Johnson would get a key out on a Cougars pop fly. The right fielder could not field the ball and the Cougars got on the board first, 2-0. Johnson balked in a third run, and eventually got a strikeout to escape the inning down 3-0.

Bottom 1:

Eighth grader Santan Perry kicked off the Blue Streaks side of the first inning, drawing a five pitch walk against Terrell. Perry getting to second base on a wild pitch and eventually stealing third did not faze Terrell, as he settled down and struck out the side. Perry would be stranded on third base.

Top 2:

Johnson started off his inning by walking the first three batters.With the bases loaded, Johnson then grazed a Cougars jersey sending the runner to first and bringing home a run, 4-0. The Cougars eventually put a ball in play with a sharp ground ball to the third baseman freshman Darion Gomez Lujan. The ball was bobbled, but Gomez Lujan recovered and took the force out at third. A run came home to score though on the fielders choice, 5-0. Two straight singles brought the Cougars lead to 8-0. Johnson got another strikeout to escape the inning.

Bottom 2: 

The Blue Streaks began their half of the inning with another lead off walk. With Johnson getting the free pass, the Blue Streaks; again, could not get the runner home. The inning ended on a strikeout and a throw to third base to stop the stealing runner. Two out on one pitch.

Top 3:

Head coach Owen Stewart made a call to the bullpen and brought out freshman Billy Perritt to pitch for the Blue Streaks. The inning began very well for Perritt, getting a quick strikeout and soft ground ball out to the second baseman, but it took a turn from there. A walk and an infield single put a runner in scoring position.  An attempted steal of third brought freshman catcher Diego Pichardo Encarnacion out of his stance as he threw to third to catch the runner. The ball soared high and brought the runner home, 9-0. A wild pitch made the score 10-0.

Bottom 3:

In the bottom half of the inning, the Blue Streaks worked some long at bats against Terrell. They got a pair of walks, but once more could not get the ball into play. Terrell struck out the side.

Top 4:

Perritt went to the mound to pitch another inning. A single to center brought in another run to make the score 11-0. Another single brought home another runner to bring the score 12-0. As the final runner came home to score, Stewart emerged from the dugout to make his second pitching change of the night. Freshman Xavier Banks took the mound to get the Blue Streaks out of the inning. He did his job and put an end to the offensive explosion from the Cougars.

Bottom 4:

Terrell took control of the game and quickly set down the Blue Streaks by striking out the side for the third time of the evening. Terrell did not allow a single hit. The game was called after four innings due to the Cougars huge lead.

JV baseball will return to the field Wednesday night at Albemarle. Here is the final stat line for the Blue Streaks:

Final Score: Stuarts Draft 12 Harrisonburg 0 F/4

Teams 1 2 3 4 Runs Hits Errors
Stuarts Draft Cougars 3 5 2 2 12 7 0
Harrisonburg Blue Streaks 0 0 0 0 0 0 5

Pitching

Stuarts Draft Cougars Innings Pitched Hits Runs Earned Runs Walks Strikeouts
so. Jerrad Terrell  4.0 0 0 0 4 11

Harrisonburg Blue Streaks Innings Pitched Hits Runs Earned Runs Walks Strikeouts
so. Andrew Johnson 2.0 4 8 5 6 4
fr. Billy Perritt 1.2 3 4 2 4 2
fr. Xavier Banks 0.1 0 0 0 2 0

Batting

Harrisonburg Blue Streaks At Bats Hits RBIs Runs Walks Strikeouts Stolen Bases
8th Santana Perry 1 0 0 0 1 1 1
fr. Billy Perritt 1 0 0 0 1 1 0
fr. Darion Gomez Lujan 2 0 0 0 0 2 0
so. Mason Smith 2 0 0 0 0 2 0
so. Andrew Johnson 1 0 0 0 1 1 0
so. Xavier Banks 1 0 0 0 0 2 0
so. Javier Molina 1 0 0 0 0 1 0
so. Ramon Manzano Rivas 1 0 0 0 0 1 0
fr. Diego Pichardo Encarnacion 0 0 0 0 1 0 0