Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Do you feel that HHS and our city are inclusive environments for all cultures/ethnicities?

• Yes, I do (60%, 67 Votes)
  • We can improve (30%, 34 Votes)
  • No, I do not (10%, 11 Votes)

Total Voters: 112

Loading ... Loading ...

Ernie G. strives to reach out and motivate the HHS student body

Ernie G. tells his life story to the audience.

The HHS student body was raving this week with the guest appearance of the famous motivational speaker Ernesto Gritzewsky. ‘Ernie G.’s’ career has consisted of roles on TV shows like “Make Me Laugh”, “Comic View”, and “Qué Locos!” With such a big reputation, it took a lot of work to get such a big act to a small town.

Senior Paula Ledezma and junior Judy Portillo were the ones that convinced Ernie G. to travel across the country to speak at the high school. The girls first met the comedian at The Hispanic College Institution at Virginia State University over the summer.

“I wanted him to come visit the school so he could inspire everyone the same way that he inspired me,” Portillo said.

As soon as Ernie arrived at HHS at 7:30 on Tuesday morning, he instantly began to greet people and get to know the student body on a more personal level.

“Before the end of second block, I had met 30 teachers and visited over 20 classrooms,” Gritzewsky said.

The reason for Ernie G.’s visit was to reach out and motivate every aspect of the student body. His performance started out with jokes about how to correctly eat a taco (pinch, lift, tilt, insert), being disciplined by his parents when he was a child, and how a little bit of ghetto can reside in even the palest of people.

As the speech continued, Ernie G. shifted to a more serious tone. He told his story about the little boy that lived in Highland Park east of L.A. grew up to become one of only three hispanics in his class to attend HS Prep School, and later, Loyola Marymount University for college, where he earned a B.A. in Psychology and a minor in Chicano Studies.

Ernie emphasized that even the people with the greatest amounts of struggles could still succeed in life. After being put on academic probation his sophomore year and being kicked out of LMU, G. was hit even harder with the passing of his aunt, Rosa, several days after. To add to his loss, Ernie owed thousands in students loans, lost his job, and had no other choice but to move back in with his mother.

The comedian lead on to explain how he regained his motivation and was able to work his way back into LMU, graduate, and make a name for himself across the country. At this time during the speech, some audience members were tearing up from either inspiration or admiration. Ernie’s unforgettable speech was sure to inspire kids across the student body.

Ernie had several reasons for choosing to visit HHS.

“I felt so honored when Paula and Judy asked me to come speak and their school, and I was hoping that the things I had to say would affect their friends the same way they moved Paula and Judy.” G. said. He was excited to get to meet the students of a small town similar to the one he grew up in.

Throughout his visit, Ernie expressed many philosophies to the student body. He encouraged each student to “embrace their race”, follow their dreams, and never give up.

Once he left the campus, Ernie left behind a cloud of inspiration over all of the students.

“Ernie G. was like the father I never had,” Ledezma said.