Gibson’s NFL Week One Takeaways

Louis Gibson, Page Editor

Football is finally back. Week one was better than one could ask for. Let’s take a look at what we learned.

The Buffalo Bills are by far the super bowl favorite. After a dominating win against the defending champ, Los Angeles Rams there is no question that the Bills could walk away as champions.

Joe Burrow is not perfect. The Cincinnati Bengals quarterback threw four interceptions and a costly fumble capped off a rough loss against the Steelers. Just proves he is still human. No need to worry. The Bengals should cruise next week against the Cowboys.

The Detroit Lions will fight till the end. Another heartbreaking loss for Dan Campbell’s Lions. They always get so close but just can’t make the play at the end to pull a win out. Lions are a fun team to watch for sure.

Jahan Dotson is an offensive rookie of the year candidate. Dotson, the Washington Commanders rookie wide receiver out of Penn State, had a very impressive game with two touchdown catches, one which would give the Commanders the lead in the final minutes. Look out for Dotson to make some noise in the NFL.

The New England Patriots are in trouble. After a playoff berth last season and a now second year quarterback in Mac Jones the Patriots had high expectations. Those expectations were quickly brought down to earth after a 20-7 loss in Miami. Now with Jones injured it is all downhill for the Pats. Bill Belichick must be fuming.

Falcons can’t stop choking. We all remember 28-3 in Super Bowl 51 against the Patriots, and yes, the trend has continued. Even having a 16 point lead in the fourth quarter was not enough for the Falcons to hold one. The loss to the Saints, 27-26.

The Minnesota Vikings are a dark horse super bowl contender. They just simply beat down on the Packers. It was no competition. In a weak NFC look out for Minnesota.

Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers is really unhappy. Drop galore and a non-existent offense made life a nightmare for Rodgers. He really misses Devante Adams now. They play the Bears next week. If the Packers lose that one I would put money on Rodgers announcing his retirement any day.

Devante Adams doesn’t need Rodgers. In his Raiders debut Adams had 141 yards receiving. No Rodgers, no problem.

Chiefs are still great. The Cardinals looked like a high school team in a 44-21 beatdown courtesy of the Kansas City Chiefs. Patrick Mahomes was great, Kelce was great, everybody was great. Even though Bills might be the favorites the Chiefs are right on their heels.

Cowboys are still trash. When you only score three points at home you know you must be really bad. Now with Dak Prescott hurt it can only get worse from here.

Geno Smith for MVP? Who needs Russell Wilson when you have Geno Smith. The Seahawks quarterback led his team to victory over Wilson’s Broncos with 195 yards passing, two touchdowns and no interceptions.

Broncos need a new coach. Nathaniel Hackett decided to bleed down the clock and opt to kick a 65 yard field goal rather than attempt a fourth and five with Russell Wilson. Didn’t work out. Scott Frost just got fired from Nebraska; even he could do a better job.