Patriots defeat Streaks in home opener

Evelyn Lewis, Print Managing Editor

Despite opening with three consecutive points for the varsity volleyball team, varsity volleyball fell to the Milbrook Patriots within an hour on August 8. The Blue Streaks lost all three sets with the scores of  25-10 in the first set, 25-14 in the second and 25-10 in the final set. Sophomore Teagan Miler had eight digs and two aces, and  Sophomore Macy Waid had 11 assists. Freshman Stella Jones had a pair of blocks and junior Thaneisha Cendeno had six kills.

On the sidelines starters, junior Rylee Stroop and sophomores Veronica Gutierrez and Chloe Dameron were unable to play due to injuries. Dameron hurt herself in practice but it did not stop her from supporting her team. 

“When I was jumping up to hit a volleyball I landed and put more weight on my left leg than my right. By doing this, I ended up with a strained hip and groin,” Dameron said. “Those of us who are not playing are missing playing, but we know the team put up a fight.”

The injured players stayed positive and boosted the spirits of team members with cheering, as did the Red Sea. Junior Lucy Ludwig, an avid Red Sea member, almost lost her voice cheering so loud. 

“The Red Sea was super energetic and such an amazing thing to be a part of. We were all cheering and hoping for the best for the team. We cheered so much as a group that I ended up losing my voice. It was totally worth it though,” Ludwig said.