Outdoor track competes at Broadway

Adrian Kavazovic, Print Editor-in-Chief

The outdoor track team competed in a meet at Broadway High School Wednesday, April 13. Sophomores Anna Campillo, Annie Poirot and Matthew Rush were a few of the distance runners who participated in the meet. 

Campillo participated in the 1600-meter run and the 800-meter run. She placed eighth in the 1600 with a time of 6:56.92 and placed fifth in the 800 with a time of 3:07.64. 

Poirot participated in the girl’s 4×400 meter relay and the 800-meter run. The girl’s team placed first in the 4×400 meter relay with a time of 4:48.84 and Poirot placed first in the 800 with a time of 2:37.72. 

Rush participated in the boy’s 4×400 meter relay and the 3200-meter run. The boy’s team placed first in the 4×400 meter relay with a time of 9:06.13 and Rush placed seventh in the 3200 with a time of 11:38.08.

The biggest challenge many of the runners faced was the weather, including Poirot. 

“The weather conditions definitely made the meet more challenging, the wind was super hard to run against and it was really hot, so it was hard to get adjusted to higher temperatures and to be able to run fast times,” Poirot said.  

Despite the harsh conditions, Rush still enjoyed the meet, specifically running the two-mile.

“I think that I did the best in the two-mile because I ran a personal best,” Rush said.

Campillo’s favorite part of the meet was spending time outside with her teammates. 

“My favorite part of the meet was cheering on my teammates and being active outside,” Campillo said. 

Rush thinks he could’ve done better in his races if he would’ve pushed himself harder.

“I think that I could have done better in all of my races because I didn’t push myself hard enough,” Rush said. 

Despite not getting any PRs in her events, Poirot was still happy with how she performed in the meet. 

“There’s definitely some things I could have done better, I didn’t get a PR in either race like I wanted to, but with the weather, I’m happy with my times and I felt pretty good too, so I think I did the best I could,” Poirot said. 

To ensure Campillo performs better in the next meet, she plans to push herself harder in both practice and her races.

“Next time I’ll try to push myself harder when I’m feeling worn out and make sure I’m fully focused on my run,” Campillo said.