Boys tennis sweeps Rockbridge

Senior+Joel+Snuffer+goes+up+for+a+serve+in+a+singles+match+against+Rockbridge.+

Louis Gibson

Senior Joel Snuffer goes up for a serve in a singles match against Rockbridge.

Louis Gibson, Page Editor

The Blue Streaks of Harrisonburg rolled into Tuesday’s match with an undefeated record of 4-0 while the Wildcats of Rockbridge County had a record of 1-3. Since the Wildcats only had four players at the match Harrisonburg had a 3-0 before even opening a can of balls.

The first matches were doubles. Senior Keenan Glago and junior Corey Beshoar proved to not even be close to a fair match to Rockbridge’s first doubles team of sophomore Malcolm Kosmas and freshman Edwin Clement, winning 8-0. Glago and Beshoar have proved to be a great pairing as they advanced to states last year. The combination of spin and power from Glago and Beshoar worked out well as they found victory very quickly.

The second doubles match was once again an overwhelming Streaks victory. Junior Owen Thompkins and sophomore Julien Steines cruised in a matchup of freshman Nicholas Faulds and sophomore Benjamin Barney. It was a quick 8-0 victory. Thompkins array of shots has worked out very well this year for him as he is undefeated at matches.

In singles it was more of the same. Beshoar was dominant right from the get go and commandingly won 8-0 against Clement. 

“I played pretty darn good,” Beshoar said. “My serve was hitting the spots and my forehand was also hitting the spots.” 

Glago, like he has all year, dismantled Kosmas 8-0. Glago was able to find a lot of top-spin and find the corners of the court with ease. He even threw in a drop shot here and there. Glago has yet to lose a match.

Steines, though not playing a perfect match, easily found victory against Faulds. Steines played to his strength and found the corners of the court on his way to another 8-3 victory. 

“I felt like I didn’t play my best. My serve was off and whatnot. I played well enough for a [win] regardless,” Steines said.

Senior Joel Stuffer followed the steps of his teammates and won 8-1 against Barney to complete the sweep of Rockbridge. Snuffer outpowered Barney and won his first singles match at home for the young season. 

“I think I played well with going to the net and overheads,” Snuffer said.

Harrisonburg was once again able to cruise to another victory at the score of 9-0  since Rockbridge forfeits three points due to not having enough athletes. The Blue Streaks are now 5-0 with Spotswood on the horizon for a Thursday clash. The Wildcats of Rockbridge fall to 1-4. Corey Beshoar, Keenan Glago, Owen Thompkins, and Julien Steines are still yet to lose a match this season. Tuesday was Harrisonburg’s second sweep of the season.