Alvarado, Smiley looking forward to upcoming softball season

Ayla Sutton, Staff Reporter

As the softball season begins yet again, many athletes are excited to see what’s in store. One major focus that freshmen Kayli Alvarado has is how the program can improve.

“[Starting up regularly] excited me because last year we started late. I didn’t get a real feel for what it is going to be like because we didn’t touch the field at all. I’m excited to see what this couch has in store for us and [I’m excited] see what he will bring to the softball program,” Alvarado said.

Last season, the softball program struggled to find a coach for both the varsity and JV positions and Alvarado feels that the coaching issue impacted their season. 

“We did it on paper. It wasn’t a good season, but I think we learned a lot from it and we taught each other a lot softball wise. We learned about each other and our strengths and weaknesses,” Alvarado said. 

This season, Alvarado is looking forward to having a new coach with a fresh perspective on the team.

“I’m excited about Derek Smiley. He [seems] like he knows what he is talking about and our assistant coaches [are] Jeramy Dayton and Cortland Rodamer,” Alvarado said.

Sophomore Ashlyn Smiley is also excited for the upcoming season. Especially with her dad stepping in as the new head coach. 

“I feel very optimistic about the upcoming season. I feel that this season is a fresh start for the HHS softball program. We have a whole new coaching staff that have the potential to really turn this program around. My father, Derek Smiley, stepped up to the head coaching position to save our season,” Smiley said. 

While it will be a new start for the softball program, Smiley believes that it will also be an opportunity to change the culture around girls sports at the high school. 

“The softball program here at Harrisonburg has had a terrible reputation and no support to reach its full potential. Girls sports here, softball in particular, seem to be disregarded and are not held to the same importance as some of the boys sports,” Smiley said. “My father has coached me my whole life, even if he was not my head coach. He knows the game and he knows how to completely change the reputation of Harrisonburg softball.”

The softball program is really excited to see what these new couches have in store for this year.

“I am excited to have coaches that all know what they are doing and that know the game well. I believe that there really is the potential to win games this season,” Smiley said. “All of us girls have the dream of beating [Turner Ashby] and we all agree that this is the season that could very well happen.”