Girls cross country competes in Albemarle Invitational

Jack Young, Staff Reporter

The boys and girls cross country team traveled to Charlottesville to compete in the Albemarle Invitational on Oct 9. Being the second to last meet of the season, the Bluestreaks had to finish off strong. Athletes were able to race in either the varsity, junior varsity, or freshman races. For the first time in the season, 8th grade runners joined the HHS team.

The girls varsity team placed 8th place out of 19 teams with a team score of 228 and a team average time of 21:52. Senior Kate Kirwan finished in 17th place overall with a time of 20:23. Other standouts for the Bluestreaks were sophomore Annie Poirot with a time of 21:00, and freshman Eleanor Carter with a time of 22:01. 

‘’The course was a little intimidating at first because of the amount of hills, but once I began the race I felt comfortable,’’Carter said.

The varsity boys finished 17th out of 25 teams with a team score of 426 and a team average time of 18:24. Junior Liam Wightman was the top finisher out of the boys, placing 65th overall with a time of 18:02. Other standout performances were senior Micah Tongen with a time of 18:17, and sophomore CJ Hulleman with a time of 18:25. 

‘’You just have to glide down the hills and power up them and you’ll be fine,’’ Wightman said.

Next on the schedule the Bluestreaks have districts, then regionals where they will hopefully qualify for the state meet.