HOSA organizes 9/11 remembrance project

Used with permission by Marelyn Rivera Rivas

HOSA members volunteered after school to help display the white flag created by students in honor of 9/11.

Shea Spears, Staff Reporter

HOSA held its monthly meeting Sept. 13. They went over the activities for Childhood Cancer Awareness Month which lasts all through September and the color that represents it is gold. Senior HOSA president Marelyn Rivera Rivas helps conduct meetings, develops programs and coordinates with advisors.

“During our meeting we actually wrote down some facts for the month of September that were placed outside our window,” Rivas said

HOSA advisor Jennifer Glazer works alongside the HOSA executive council members. Outside of her room, you can find fast facts about HOSA that are aimed at spreading awareness to students.

“It is important to raise awareness because you get to recognize all of the children who have been diagnosed or treated for cancer,” Rivas said 

The local HOSA chapter organized a 9/11 activity to acknowledge the lives lost during the attacks of September 11th, 2001.

“We are doing the remembrance project for 9/11 to thank our service troops,”Rivas said. “During advisory the teachers [provided] their student with small white flags and the students [had the] opportunity to write thank you or just remember a loved one who lost their life during 9/11.”

The white flags were passed out throughout the week. Anyone was able to write a flag for a loved one who lost their life during 9/11 or you can write a thank you to someone you know who serves in the military. The flags will be set up outside the school until Sep. 28.