JV volleyball loses at home to East Rock

Freshman+Lucy+Ludwig+and+eighth+grader+Veronica+Gutierrez+stand+in+ready+positions+as+a+teammate+serves.+

Maya Waid

Freshman Lucy Ludwig and eighth grader Veronica Gutierrez stand in ready positions as a teammate serves.

Dany T Medhin, Editor

The JV girls volleyball team faced the Eagles of East Rockingham High School on Tuesday, Mar. 23. This was the second time the Streaks have faced the Eagles this season. After a hard fought two set match, Harrisonburg lost 19-25 and 20-25. 

The Streaks came in strong in the first set by gaining an early lead from the serves of eighth grader and libero Teagan Miller. They soon lost their lead due to service errors and long rallies won by East Rock. Harrisonburg fought back but eventually ended up losing the set 19-25.

In the second set, the Streaks again had a strong start leading to an early 3-0 lead. Soon after the Eagles were able to catch up and surpass the Streaks. A long rally took place with the Eagles winning the point and taking the lead, 9-7. Although the Streaks were able to gain some points from strong serves and kills, they ended up losing the set and the match 20-25.

Although the Streaks lost, freshman Lucy Ludwig thought they played pretty well.

“We did have a little trouble getting into base and not getting those deep corner tips, [but] we had a lot of really good saves and based on the hits we were getting we were receiving really well. We were popping them up and we were getting pretty good hits, not all of the time but most of the time, but overall I think we played really [well],” Ludwig said. 

After suffering the loss, Harrisonburg’s record falls to 2-6. The JV team will play their next match on the road on Thursday Mar. 25.