Lawton reflects on high school experience after school cancellation

Senior+Julia+Lawton+is+heartbroken+her+senior+year+wont+end+as+planned%2C+but+she+is+grateful+for+all+of+her+experiences+in+high+school.+

Photo Courtesy of Julia Lawton

Senior Julia Lawton is heartbroken her senior year won’t end as planned, but she is grateful for all of her experiences in high school.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) is an infectious disease caused by a newly discovered virus. The disease causes respiratory illness (like the flu) with symptoms such as a cough, fever, and in more severe cases, difficulty breathing. Virginia Governor Ralph Northam announced that all Virginia schools must close for the remainder of the school year because of this virus, cutting senior Julia Lawton’s senior year short.

“It’s kind of scary, mostly because so much is unknown, and the social isolation thing is so hard. But it has been kind of beautiful to see the world coming together in this. If making these sacrifices can save lives, then of course we should do it,” Lawton said. 

Governor Ralph Northam closed all Virginia schools for the rest of the year, breaking many seniors’ hearts who were getting ready for senior activities and graduation.  

“[I’m] pretty heartbroken for sure. Mostly I feel the loss in not having my last dance concerts. We’ve been working on some of the pieces for a long time, and it’s so sad to know that they won’t be performed,” Lawton said. 

Lawton will miss all the relationships she built with staff members and other students. 

“Above all else, I’ll miss the people. I am so grateful for the close relationships I’ve built with my teachers and classmates. I will miss working closely with them every day, especially in my arts classes,” Lawton said . 

Lawton has been in a lot of high school programs like the musicals, the dance program and the Fine Arts Academy. 

“[I was] a part of 4 amazing HHS musicals, especially this year with Hairspray. I am most proud of all the work I created as part of the HHS dance program and the Fine Arts Academy, in particular our senior capstone “Flourish.” Though it may not get finished the way we anticipated, the hard work and dedication all 8 of us [working on the capstone] have put in has been so inspiring to me,” Lawton said. 

Lawton wishes the seniors could have a graduation ceremony, but safety concerns are a priority.

“It would be a waste to have us miss the rest of the year if we mess it up by gathering for graduation before it’s safe. However, I do think the class of 2020 deserves our recognition, whether that be through postponing the ceremony or finding a way to do it from a distance,” Lawton said.

Next year, Lawton will be attending Adelphi University in Long Island. She wishes she could change this entire situation to finish out her senior year.

“I would change this moment if I could. Truthfully, I am very grateful for all my experiences in high school. I guess if there’s something I could have done differently, it would have been to relax a little and connect more with people sooner,” Lawton said.

Lawton doesn’t know when society will go back to normal, but she has plans for this summer if it does before then.

“[My summer plans] at this point remains to be seen. We obviously don’t know exactly when things will settle down so we can get back to normal life. If everything were normal, my summer plans always include spending time with my family in New York”, Lawton said. 

Lawton has been keeping herself busy with her passion of dance during this school cancellation.

“I think all we can do right now is find things we care about to keep us busy. I’ve been taking some online dance classes and continuing to create choreography; I always find solace in the arts. Other than that, I think maintaining connections with friends [and] loved ones, albeit from afar, is really important,”Lawton said. 

Lawton leaves a testimony for her senior class. 

“Stay strong, lovelies. I know this isn’t what we expected or hoped our last bit of high school would look like, but we will get through it. Much love to you all,”  Lawton said. 

Lawton also gives a message to the underclassmen.

“Don’t be afraid to ask for help, take ownership of your learning, and enjoy every minute. I know high school doesn’t feel amazing in every moment, but trust me, you’ll miss it,” Lawton said.