Teachers should assign students less homework

Caleb Goss

Studies show that 56 percent of students deem homework is the principle cause of stress. Stress can lead to fatigue, a lack of sleep and even weight loss. Teachers may believe they aren’t assigning too much, but homework from all the teachers a student has will add up to a draining amount.

Most teachers assign homework to their students every day to give them extra practice. Although this extra practice is designed to help students, it’s too much work. Many students have extracurricular activities such as sports, band or clubs. Balancing out these activities, in addition to all the homework assigned, is frustrating and tedious. Finding extra time to relax and focus on yourself seems impossible. 

Studies show that 56 percent of students deem homework is the principle cause of stress. Stress can lead to fatigue, a lack of sleep and even weight loss. Teachers may believe they aren’t assigning too much, but homework from all the teachers a student has will add up to a draining amount. One page will add up to three, then five and then ten. Homework starts to consume a student’s thoughts and the strain starts to kick in. Imagine, after a long day of school, going straight to practice for a sport, then going home to the pile of homework just waiting for you. By the time you finish all that, you’ll be exhausted and there’ll be no time left to enjoy yourself. Teachers don’t realize just how overbearing homework can be even though they once had to deal with homework.

Schools may argue that homework helps students learn how to manage their time and get extra practice for school. However, there is a limit to learning before it becomes exasperating. Schools should take the effort to direct their attention to students’ mental health. The daunting amount of homework teachers assign risks the harmful conditions of depression or anxiety. Research shows that 61 percent of students have overwhelming anxiety. 20 to 30 percent have depression. This means anxiety and depression are already a widespread issue and homework is definitely not helping whatsoever.

Is extra practice worth the mental strain? No, but there are ways to provide practice without being too overbearing. Teachers can collaborate to make sure students have no more than 90 minutes of homework a night. They must make sure they are providing the right amount of content that isn’t too complicated into an assignment. Stress wouldn’t become as big of a problem and mental health would improve. Less homework means better solutions.