Machuca-Rodriguez launches YouTube channel, pursues dance career

Junior+Tatiana+Machuca-Rodriguez+launches+her+YouTube+channel+after+placing+first+at+the+Black+Student+Union+talent+show+earlier+this+year.+The+positive+reviews+from+the+audience+and+judges+inspired+Machuca-Rodriguez+to+share+her+dance+skills+with+the+world+through+YouTube.+

Courtesy of Tatiana Machuca-Rodriguez

Junior Tatiana Machuca-Rodriguez launches her YouTube channel after placing first at the Black Student Union talent show earlier this year. The positive reviews from the audience and judges inspired Machuca-Rodriguez to share her dance skills with the world through YouTube.

It all started when junior Tatiana Machuca-Rodriguez entered the stage on the night of the Black Student Union Talent show.

“A lot of people commented really positive things about my BSU performance,” Machuca-Rodriguez said. “I woke up the next day [motivated]. I texted my friend telling her how I wanted to begin doing something with YouTube. I have always wanted to do it, but I was shy about dances.”

Machuca-Rodriguez believes that the talent show is what helped her overcome the fear of judgement, which led her to officially making her own YouTube channel.

Machuca-Rodriguez posted her first video in December and immediately got 1,000 views. Machuca-Rodriguez is half Puerto Rican and half Dominican, and believes that these two cultures are heavy on dance which is why she has an interest in it.

“Dance has always been my thing. Puerto Ricans in general love that ‘bomba and plena,’ which are several traditional dances in PR. I think [having my cultural influences] has kept me dancing. It runs in my blood,” Machuca-Rodriguez said.

Machuca-Rodriguez has gotten support from the idea of launching her YouTube channel. She has included HHS alum Larissa Gotay and sophomore Isis Gotay to be a part of her team. Another supporter has been her mother, who was her dance mentor back in Mayaguez, Puerto Rico.

“Whenever there would be a talent show she would choreograph group and solo performances. I would help her out along with two of my brothers. She has always been there for me and supports me no matter what,” Machuca-Rodriguez said.

Machuca-Rodriguez has been dancing since the age of four and hopes to continue to learn and grow as a dancer.

“I do have [desires] of taking classes through Dance & Company, but it is expensive,” Machuca-Rodriguez said. “Currently I learn how to dance by watching videos on YouTube.”

She also is looking forward to visiting colleges in the fall to approach the idea of majoring in dance. She is thankful for moving to the U.S. because of the positive effects it has had on her life.

“I came to the US in seventh grade, and ever since I have always been intimidated of speaking English because it is my second language,” Machuca Rodriguez said. “I stopped being shy this past year, [but it] took me a lot to be able to feel comfortable [with the language and culture].”

Machuca-Rodriguez hopes to continue to be motivated and begin molding herself into in order to take the next step forward in her life.

“Everytime I dance it motivates me to go for more,” Machuca-Rodriguez said. “It makes me move and not stay in one place, and that applies to my life as well.”