Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Do you feel that HHS and our city are inclusive environments for all cultures/ethnicities?

• Yes, I do (60%, 67 Votes)
  • We can improve (30%, 34 Votes)
  • No, I do not (10%, 11 Votes)

Total Voters: 112

Loading ... Loading ...

Library receives new books for the school year

The HHS library received approximately 600 new books to kick off the 2011-2012 school year. Photo by Ama Ansah

The HHS Library accumulated approximately 600 new books over the summer in preparation for the fall semester.  The selection was based on national reading lists, award lists, student recommendations, and teacher suggestions. Though some were replacements for titles that had gone missing or had been damaged last year.
“The money that comes from overdue fines or missing book fines helps us pay for replacing those books or getting extra copies to a popular series,” Librarian Deborah Whitman explained.
The books were purchased through a variety of vendors both in store and online. Reading Warehouse, Follett, and the local Greenvalley Book fair. So far, students have been enjoying the new novels.
“I’ve noticed a decent number being checked out,” Librarian Billy Martin said.
The fall book shipment is the largest every year for a number of reasons. One of them is school starting and the library wanting to have a good selection for incoming student. Another is funding.
“Basically, most of the books come in the fall because funding school funding is allocated to other departments and programs during the school year,” Whitman explained. “We try to order the most books when we have the most funding.”  A few more books will be coming in within the next few weeks.  In January and February, the library will order the American Library Association award winners, as the distinction is announced in January.
Currently, the major consern for the library staff is shelving. Will they have room for these 600 new books and counting? Both Martin and Whitman agree, they’ll jump that hurdle when they get to it.