Rice encourages study abroad opportunity

At some points in life, the opportunity to be adventurous can be out of reach. This may be due to the lack of time, the financial costs and the process of planning a trip. History teacher Sean Rice has recently brought a new idea to the table, encouraging students to join his summer study abroad trip to Europe.

“The Education First Tours (EF Tours) company creates lots of different tours and this is one I thought would have some interest,” Rice said.

Rice has personally traveled with this company, which is why he was interested in sharing his experience with students. Due to his past trips with EF Tours, he will be the tour leader for our school’s trip. Students will be traveling to England, France and Germany. Rice finds this trip efficient and simple because of how easy it is to travel to the countries he chose.

“Basically [EF Tours] is an avenue to travel abroad and get to experience things [students] would never really have [the opportunity to do] in their community,” Rice said. “[The trip’s purpose is] to get them outside of their comfort zone and be able to see the world without really having to plan a bunch.”

Like any trip that involves flying out of the country, there can be some high costs. The tour is estimated to be $4,200. Rice plans to have at least two fundraisers that will help to reduce the cost of the trip. The price may also be reduced by $100 by simply recommending this to a friend who ends up going on the trip.

“It was a little more pricey than I originally thought. Some of that is out of my control, but I pretty much thought this would be the most ‘bang’ type of trip,” Rice said. “We are doing fundraisers such as [selling] Shirley’s Popcorn…and we will be selling this during lunch, which still needs school permission.”

As an EF leader, Rice is in charge of the backbone for planning the trip. From announcing new trip information to getting students to the airport on time, Rice has taken initiative for the study abroad tour.

“It is not like a school tour. This is a private thing, so there are mandates that [exist],” Rice said. “I am taking students that are underaged, but you will be having the European experience, and that is whatever it means to you.”

Depending on whether this trip is successful or not, Rice is planning another trip in the summer of 2020 to the British Isles or Italy and Greece. He also might let students choose where the trip should be. Rice is aware that this is something new to the HHS community, but is optimistic on how well it will do.

“It is like anything else that is new, it takes people to actually dive in and do it and then you have to get the feedback. I think after this first tour, when people get back, I can ask people how it was and I am hoping that they had a good time, I know I will,” Rice said.

Rice encourages students to take their shot and try something new, because it is truly worth it.

“If you’ve never been [on a cross cultural trip], I know it is kind of bougie to say this, but it is worth the money. It is expensive, but it is a great deal,” Rice said.