City-County honors band results

Jacqueline Mateo-Sanchez, Staff Reporter

City-county band is an ensemble full of students throughout the local schools that have auditioned to be in. The ranks which are called chairs are based upon how well the student did throughout the audition. A total of 18 students will be participating in this year’s ensemble.

Junior Bo Boisen, who has been playing the flute since the second grade, managed to get first chair for the flute section.

“The main thing that motivated me to audition is that it’s a calm audition, “ Boisen said. “It’s a good trial audition before district band because it’s the same audition process and pieces.”

In order to audition, all your major scales, chromatic scale and the prepared etude that has been given out must be known. While in the audition room, no talking is permitted, unless it’s from one of the judges, or you’ll become disqualified. It’s a blind audition, so the panel of judges can’t see you and vice versa.

“Usually before an audition my hands get shaky or get clammy from nerves, but at this audition I knew I had a really good shot at first or second, so I didn’t feel as nervous,” Boisen said.

Although this is just Boisen’s second time being in the City-County band, she has learned a lot through the auditions.

“My advice to anyone who wants to audition is to start by practicing early and not leave it until last minute. Also, if you work yourself up beforehand, you’ll be more nervous, so just relax and not worry about the outcome.” Boisen said.

Sophomore Ronal Gomez, who landed seventh chair trumpet, has been playing the instrument since the fifth grade.

“I was motivated to audition because I want to get better at my instrument and to become more experienced,” Gomez said.

His motivation prepared him for the best and for the worst. Gomez went in ready for critique.

“Before the audition, I prepared both mentally and physically for what the judges are going to ask of me,” Gomez said. “There is always something that I can work on improving.”  

The city-county band concert will be held at East Rockingham High School on Saturday, Jan. 28.

Here are the results from the auditions: 

Boroka Boisen Flute, 1st Chair

Irene Liu Oboe, 1st Chair

Alice McNett Oboe, 1st Alternate

Rachel Everard Clarinet, 4th Chair

Noah Pope Alto Sax, 1st Chair

Lucy Moss Alto Sax, 3rd Chair

Anahi Bravo Alto Sax, 1st Alternate

Ronal Gomez Trumpet, 7th Chair

Jerome Li Trombone, 2nd Chair

Kervin Lopez-Rojas Trombone, 3rd Chair

Nathan Ringle Euphonium, 3rd Chair

Andrew Ely Euphonium, 1st Alternate  

Jaden Graham String Bass, 1st Chair

Joshua Jordan Percussion, 1st Chair

Nick Burzumato Percussion, 2nd Chair

Benjamin Blake Percussion, 3rd Chair

Sam Schaeffer Percussion, 4th Chair

Cary Hardwick Percussion, 8th Chair

Results courtesy of Daniel Upton