Wrestling places eighth at Invitationals with the help of Urbanski

Ella Marian, Feature Page Editor

Seventeen schools gathered on Dec. 12 for the two day wrestling invitational. The invitational was set to start at 5:30 pm but it was delayed eighteen minutes due to many scratches; adjustments had to be made in the weight classes and matches to make it fair.

Former wrestlers Trevor Jackson, Trent Sosa and Alexis Dickerson had come to cheer on the wrestlers since they are home for break from college. Jackson helped out wrestling coach and science teacher Adam Goble. Sosa and Dickerson stayed on the sidelines and caught up with wrestlers and coaches when they weren’t busy.

The matches were organized to compete from the smallest weight class to the biggest. In sophomore Jacob Urbanski’s (who is also team captain) weight class of 126 lbs, he competed against a student from Grace Christian High School.

“I felt good,” Urbanski said. Each round is a maximum of two minutes long. In the beginning it didn’t take long for Urbanski to tackle down the student from Grace Christian School. Urbanski pinned the opponent down quickly and the opponent tried to get out but would always end up out of bounds.

To keep talley on who is getting points during the matches, the referees give the players either a green or a red strap to put on their ankle. Urbanski received a green strap in the beginning and won this match. Throughout the rest of his matches, Urbanski did well.

Go cheer on Urbanski and the rest of the wrestling team during their next matches for the season.