Meadows talks to students about Incarnate

Meadows+talks+to+students+about+Incarnate+

Marley Adamek, Staff Reporter

On Friday, November 21,  Jodi Meadows came to HHS. She is the writer of the Incarnate trilogy and the Orphan Queen duology. She has toured in California twice, Utah, Texas, New York and Boston. She has to pay for her own tours, so she can only go to a certain amount of places. Her tours usually revolve around the times that her books come out, or whenever she and her friends want to get together.

“Besides the writing, meeting readers [is my favorite part of writing]. Writing itself is just a lot of fun. I really like editing too, but one of the really cool things is meeting the readers, and that’s something that is easier now than it used to be. I don’t get to meet all of my readers, unfortunately, because they live in places that I don’t always get to go to. With social media, I get to talk to a lot of readers who live on the internet, who tweet at me or talk to me on facebook,” Meadows said.

Meadows said that her best experience with writing was when her agent called her to tell her that Incarnate was published.

She would like to give some young writers advice. “Write a lot. Do not expect your first book to sell; go ahead and write it anyway. Read a lot, read everything as much as you possibly can. Even if it’s something that you aren’t interested in, it’s still going to be useful. Get critique from other writers and friends, and take their criticism seriously, because you have to take all of the criticism and put it all to use. But, take it seriously and ask yourself if you need to use it. Also, learn how to critique other people. It’s easier to see the problems in other peoples’ books or suggest changes for them, than it is to see them on your own, and you can have a better eye to catch things in your own books,” Meadows said.

Meadows feels that there was absolutely no other choice for her, other than to become a writer. It is her passion. She would like to add that ferrets are really cool animals and very underrated.