VA College Application week comes to a close

Brenna Cowardin, Print Editor-in-Chief

Virginia College Application week began its second year at HHS Nov. 17 through 21. Students worked on applications for all sorts of endeavors, from community college to four year universities. Senior Segod Saleh could be found in the library computer lab throughout the week. She has finished her application for Blue Ridge Community College and is working on one for Eastern Mennonite University.

“[EMU] is near my house, and it has a peaceful [campus]. It’s a nice college,” Saleh said.

The application process is difficult, but technological errors took that difficulty to a new level for Saleh.

“The first time I applied to [EMU] it didn’t work, and now everything is gone and I have to apply again,” Saleh said. Despite the bumps in the road, Saleh is looking forward to the future, and VA College application week has given her time to pursue her goals.

“I’m going to graduate. I want to be a teacher or analyze biology. Those are my two top choices,” Saleh said. “We have time to [work on applications] and get help from teachers and counselors.”

Saleh is ready for what’s coming next.

“I want to just go to college, finish high school, be prepared for everything in college. This the first time, for me, doing the application process,” Saleh said.

Senior Raman Mahmud has used VA College Application week to work on his application for Blue Ridge. He plans on attending the community college and then transferring to the University of Virginia or Virginia Tech.

“I like the transfer program [that UVA and Virginia Tech offer],” Mahmud said. “I’m probably going to do architecture or civil engineering.”

Mahmud found inspiration in his mother and father.

“[I became interested in architecture through] my parents. They said, ‘You should be an architect,’ and I actually like it,” Mahmud said.

The length of the college application process is the hardest part for Mahmud.

“The essays [are really hard],” Mahmud said. “I knew it was hard because all my friends applied before me, and told me how hard it was.”

Mahmud focuses on the end goal of a college experience.

“[I’m most excited about] graduating,” Mahmud said. “Just finishing.”

VA college application week helped Mahmud get to where he needed to be.

“It helped me catch up with my application, and the staff has been really helpful,” Mahmud said.

I’m going to graduate. I want to be a teacher or analyze biology. Those are my two top choices.

— Segod Saleh

Senior Tina Lam is applying to James Madison University for its psychology and pre-med programs.

“[I want to go into] the medical field,” Lam said. “I have no idea what [exactly] yet.”

Lam is looking forward to the freedom that comes with college.

“[I’m looking forward to] studying what I want to study, and not having people tell me to take a certain class,” Lam said.

Senior Oriana Kreider has already applied to Liberty University. During VA College Application week, she looked for more schools that had interior design programs.

“[I became interested in interior design] through my family probably. My mom likes interior design, but she never did it, and I think I like design,” Kreider said.

For Kreider choosing a college was the hardest part of the process.

“[I’m most excited for] college life, and getting to know people,” Kreider said. This aspect is something she’ll find at any school, so deciding on which school to apply to is difficult. Kreider doesn’t disregard the benefits of attending college for the learning aspects though.