Benton breaks records

Faith Runnells, Print Managing Editor

On Thursday, Oct. 30, the girls varsity volleyball team won senior night against the team of Waynesboro due to a never-done-before feat by sophomore libero Athena Benton.

The team unfortunately lost the first and third set of the game, but won both the second and the fourth set, and so the opponents were required to go into a fifth set, which only goes to 15 points, to determine the winner of the night.

Senior captain Kaelen Adams tried to get the girls excited for the fifth set, to hopefully steal the game away from the Little Giants of Waynesboro.

“We were nervous but ready. We really wanted to win because it was me and Ananda’s senior night,” Adams said.

Senior captain Ananda McAfee won the coin toss for the fifth set, allowing the Lady Streaks to have the set’s first serve. It was sophomore libero Athena Benton’s turn to serve in rotation, and once the whistle blew, she fired off an ace (in which the team serving gets the point off the serve due to the other team not being able to pass up the serve) to start off the set well.

Benton continued to obtain seven more aces throughout the set, and she, with the help of the rest of the team, led HHS to win point after point, not letting the Little Giants win any themselves, until the scoreboard read 15-0, which has never before been done in volleyball history at HHS. The Lady Streaks pulled off the win with plenty of room to spare.

Coach Hannah Bowman was in shock with the result.

“I’ve never seen that or heard of that before in all my years of volleyball, playing or coaching,” Bowman said.

The girls are now moving on in the conference tournament, and have won their first conference game last Monday, Nov. 3 against the Lions of Louisa County High School. The team will play against the undefeated team of Fluvanna High School to go to regionals next week if they come out with a win.