Thoughts on Homecoming Weather

Randee Rose Joven

Harrisonburg High School vs. Waynesboro High School

Randee Rose Joven, Staff Reporter

On October 3, 2014, the event several have been waiting for finally came. Harrisonburg High School’s homecoming football game occurred last friday night against Waynesboro High School. Although, coats and umbrellas were worn and brought since the weather was not in our favor that night. It was pouring rain the entire game. Also, while the HHS varsity football team put in their best efforts, the game resulted with a loss of 21-56.

Senior Nicholas Lee enjoyed going through the tunnel and breaking the banner pre-game, but wished that the inclement weather did not occur during.

“We might have played better if it did not rain. We practice everyday and work on what we really need to work on and get to where we need to  be,” Lee said. When asked about the pep rally that took place in the school’s gym prior to the game, he chuckled and said he loved leading the team at the pep rally. “It was like an adrenaline rush,” Lee said.

The climate was inconvenient for the game watchers as the bleachers were soaking, so they had to stand throughout the whole game. Several had even left before halftime or the end. Sophomore Emma Nouri thought so.

“It probably brought us down a lot. It was probably a factor why [our team] didn’t do so good,” Nouri said.

Furthermore, she is a member of the color guard hence why she was unhappy that they did not get to perform their show on halftime. “It was miserable being outside for that long. We had to bring rain jackets so it sucked,” Nouri said.

Albeit their show was cancelled due to the weather, the homecoming court was presented during halftime along with the crowning of the homecoming queen, Jasmine Morales. Nouri was delighted about being a part of the court. “The rain killed it, but other than that it was fun,” Nouri said.

While some thought the rain did not give a positive outcome of the game, some disregarded it. Junior Andy King plays the baritone in the HHS marching band and attended the game on Friday night. “I think the rain made it more exciting, kind of,” King said. “It’s cool seeing the football players sliding around in the field.” Like Nouri, King was let down because the marching band did not get to march and present their halftime show.

King, having school spirit, had anticipated the team’s win but after halftime he was unsure. “I had hope in the beginning when we were in the lead, but I kind of just gave up [after halftime],” King said.

Freshman Emily Coffelt, who was cheering with the Red Sea, also was hoping for our team to win. She didn’t think that the weather affected the game. “It was very rainy, but everyone was cheering so it made it okay,” Coffelt said. “It was a good experience since I am a freshman and it was my first homecoming game.”