Opinion: Why Homecoming needs to work this year

A disappointing dance would be more memorable than an enjoyable one, and not in the best way.

Luke Gibson, Online Editor-in-Chief

Let's hope "A Red Carpet Affair" carries the level of class it implies.
Let’s hope “A Red Carpet Affair” carries the level of class it implies.

The stakes are high for the school whenever the early days of fall roll around. Football games are tricky to organize, but at least have a guaranteed turnout. The real fall challenge here is making the Homecoming dance seem appealing, which this year is Sept. 28, or …tomorrow. The event is a yearly occurrence, but recently (and not just for HHS) school dances have dwindled in charm. The cause of this could be a variety of things, but one thing is certain: Homecoming has to be fun (again). Lists solve everything, so below is a list of what is vital to the success of the dance, and what’s at risk if this doesn’t happen.

1. The dance needs to emulate what kids are doing normally. The truth is, the students are the customers. The dance involves a monetary transaction and is therefore a service, and unfortunately for the school, the service needs to be good. The music needs to be current, although maybe Gangnam Style will be missed in its own little way.

2. North Korea is not a good role model for security. Heavy policing throughout the night is not necessary, and will only make students (the customers, remember) want to leave. Supervision for the sake of the dance’s dignity is recommended, but that should be the most it goes too.

3. The dance needs to be safe while giving the illusion that the students aren’t being babysat. The event is for all grades, including freshmen. And while the interference between faculty and students shouldn’t be necessary, Homecoming needs to be presented as a safe and dignified environment. The theme this year, “a red carpet affair,” seems to foster this classiness, and should hopefully pay off.

So what is at stake if the night isn’t appealing?

Students leave, and once they exit the building, they aren’t the school’s responsibility anymore. If kids are leaving, it means they have somewhere better to be, which could be a place less safe than Homecoming. The bottom line is, Homecoming shouldn’t leave students pursuing something better.

Here’s to another good year.