Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Do you feel that HHS and our city are inclusive environments for all cultures/ethnicities?

• Yes, I do (60%, 67 Votes)
  • We can improve (30%, 34 Votes)
  • No, I do not (10%, 11 Votes)

Total Voters: 112

Loading ... Loading ...
Governor STEM Academy hosts biannual career fair
JV softball vs. East Rock 4/19/24

JV softball vs. East Rock 4/19/24

May 2, 2024

STEM holds third quarter steminar, career night

May 1, 2024

Spring play, directed by Gibson performs D.O.A

April 25, 2024

Opinion: Costa Rican exchange benefits the host as much as the visitor

Cowardin helps introduce her exchange student, Brenes Cubilla, to some American culture.

Deciding to come to another country and live with another family for two weeks take guts. I applaud Val and the other Costa Rican exchange students who took the leap of faith and did just that.

This is my first year hosting a student from Colegio Metodista, and so far, it’s been one of the most amazing experiences of my life. Val is one of the sweetest people I have had the good fortune of meeting.

The first weekend the Costa Rican students were here their schedule was cleared so we could have a “family weekend.” I, ironically enough, had a track meet that Saturday, and was gone from seven in the morning to nine at night. (Val went to Costco with my parents. It was the first time she’d been in a store that large.)

In the past four days, Val and I have bought matching Avengers t-shirts and spent a day in school together (Val was not a fan of driver’s ed, but then again, who is?). My sister and I introduced her to Auntie Anne’s pretzels and hummus (these are separate ideas, but now that I think about it, they probably wouldn’t be too bad together).

When I filled out the necessary forms to host a student, I was in the mindset that wouldn’t be going to Costa Rica on my side of the exchange, but as I get to know Val, and as she talks about her country and the places she’d take me if I would go, I want more and more to be able to take the next plane down to the equator and see it for myself.