Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Do you feel that HHS and our city are inclusive environments for all cultures/ethnicities?

• Yes, I do (60%, 67 Votes)
  • We can improve (30%, 34 Votes)
  • No, I do not (10%, 11 Votes)

Total Voters: 112

Loading ... Loading ...
Governor STEM Academy hosts biannual career fair
JV softball vs. East Rock 4/19/24

JV softball vs. East Rock 4/19/24

May 2, 2024

STEM holds third quarter steminar, career night

May 1, 2024

Spring play, directed by Gibson performs D.O.A

April 25, 2024

Opinion: SOLs overtake the focus of what classes should be teaching

The SOLs are inhibiting students from delving into a topic; instead, they delve into SOL preparation.

SOLs are the bare minimum of knowledge that the state requires students to be responsible in their core classes. Yet, most teachers structure their entire class solely around SOL curriculum. But what do SOLs really test? They’re testing only the basics, when really if you’re going to apply the knowledge outside of school, you’re going to need more than that. So much stress and emphasis is put on SOLs that instead of learning more and valuable information and preparing you for later courses or life skills, teachers just drill the minimum into students.

Furthermore, to pass the SOL you only need to get just over half the questions correct. For already testing the bare minimum, you would think you would need a little better score to pass, especially since the SOLs are mostly multiple choice, which already gives you a one in four chance of getting any question right, even if you just guess.

Not to mention, the state uses specific phrases or words that they put only on the SOL, almost like a special SOL language. This requires students to know only a certain phrase or different name for something than you would really call it just in class or life.

If all the excess time that was used to review for SOLs and learn the particular language the SOLs use was spent to learn more in depth about the course or to learn more material, students would be more well-rounded in their learning, instead of only learning the slight amount the state requires. It’s great that the state sets up a guideline of material that needs to be learned, but that doesn’t mean the whole class needs to be centered around one test.