Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Do you feel that HHS and our city are inclusive environments for all cultures/ethnicities?

• Yes, I do (60%, 67 Votes)
  • We can improve (30%, 34 Votes)
  • No, I do not (10%, 11 Votes)

Total Voters: 112

Loading ... Loading ...

Volleyball game against Staunton: recap

After a loss against the Millbrook Pioneers the Blue Streaks won against the Staunton Storm as they scored a record of 5-1, Tuesday night. It took three sets for the Blue Streaks to win to send the Storm to a 3-6 record.

In the first set, junior Macy Waid stepped up to the service line to begin the match. Quickly the Blue Streaks took a 5-0 due to a mishits and a violation. Junior Sibbie Jetton got a kill to put the Storm on the board and end the 5-0 Blue Streak run to begin the match. The Jetton kill would be the only kill of the set for the Storm.

Freshman Nora Von Rotz added two kills and junior Teagan Miller hit the first ace of the match to bring the score to 9-1 when the Storm decided to take the first timeout of the match.A serving fault at both ends of the court kept the Blue Streak lead at eight, but Storm mishits and a couple of kills saw the Blue Streaks lead to a set of 13. More kills from Von Rotz and junior Veronica Gutierrez brought the set out of reach and clinched it at a score of 25-13.

Even with the score the Blue Streaks did have struggles in the opening set. The Blue Streaks had four service errors and managed only 10 kills.The second set would be the closest set of the night. To start the set the Blue Streaks were down 3-1 before they retook the advantage and built a 7-3 lead courtesy of a kill from sophomore Mollie Balmer.

The Storm got back into the match. It was when the Blue Streaks hit their fifth double fault of the night to give the Storm a 10-9 lead when head coach Erin Brubaker took the Blue Streaks’ first timeout of the match.
Coming out of the time out the Storm’s lead stretched to three, their largest of the set before the Blue Streaks came back off Storm misshits and a Gutierrez kill to tie the scores at 13.

With the scores tied at 17, Jetton hit back-to-back kills to bring the set to 19-17, prompting Brubaker to call another timeout.
After the break, Gutierrez tied the set up again at 19-19. From there after alternating the next four points sophomore Stella Jones hit back-to-back kills and junior Aubree Ringwald hit an ace to put the Blue Streaks at set point with the score 24-21.
A Blue Streaks mishit brought their lead to 24-22 followed by kills from sophomores Kaylan Herron and Saraiah Lassiter to tie the set.
Gutierrez ended the run with a kill to bring the Blue Streaks to another set point.
With the set a point away Brubaker brought in senior Logaan Whiting to serve. Another Storm mishit would seal a tight set at 26-24.
After a lopsided first set, the Storm responded in the second with a set that any team could have won. This was a trend that continued in the third.To begin the third set the scores went back and forth. The Blue Streak then got their largest lead of the set at 11-4 in part thanks to three kills by Von Rotz and two from Gutierrez.

The lead stayed at no less than five. More Blue Streak service errors and four third-set kills from Lassiter kept Staunton in the set. The teams went back and forth until a Blue Streak mishit and an ace from sophomore Kaylan Herron brought the Blue Streak lead to three with the score 20-17 prompting a time-out. Another Lassiter kill brought the lead down to two. Freshman Sarah Hairston ended the run with a kill to make the score 21-18. The teams traded points until the Blue Streaks eighth service error and a kill from Lassiter brought the lead to just one.

With the score 22-21, the Blue Streaks racked off two straight points to put them on match points. This time with the set point and the match point, the Blue Streaks forced the Storm to make a scrabble to the ball leading to the ball being mishit into the ceiling. Sealing the set and the match for the Blue Streaks at 25-21.

The Blue Streaks finished with eight service errors, though it was enough to complete the season sweep of the storm.
The Storm never had a set point in the entire match. For the Storm, Jetton and Lassiter headlined the stat sheet with five and four kills respectively. Miller led the Blue Streaks in aces with two. Gutierrez led the way in kills for the Blue Streaks with nine followed by eight from Von Rotz.