Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Do you feel that HHS and our city are inclusive environments for all cultures/ethnicities?

• Yes, I do (60%, 67 Votes)
  • We can improve (30%, 34 Votes)
  • No, I do not (10%, 11 Votes)

Total Voters: 112

Loading ... Loading ...
Seniors Tzeviya Morris-Dean and Mia Rodamer pie school resource officer.
Students, teachers participate in Pie a Teacher Day
Jireh Perez, Page Editor • May 19, 2024

Senior Johanna Mayfield performs Suite for Piano, Mvts. III & II by Norman Dello Joio.
Tri-M host first recital of the year 5/8
Miguel Lopez, Copy Editor • May 17, 2024

Senior Giovanni Anselmo throws the ball in.
Boys Varsity soccer vs Millbrook
Makayla Suffecool and Elsie CorristonMay 13, 2024

School split could impact language offerings
Phoenix Siedel, Staff Reporter • May 14, 2024

Correction to the original article in the Newsstreak print issue "A New Era" published May 9th, 2024:  ****Italian 2 and 3 and ASL are being...

Chris Hulleman presents about how he and his wife works with data science.
Governor STEM Academy hosts biannual career fair

Every year, the Governors STEM Academy hosts a STEMinar each quarter. For the third quarter STEMinar,...

A historical marker on Court Square in memorial of the lynching of African-American woman, Charlotte Harris
Project uncovers hundreds of lynching victims over decades

Charlotte Harris was in custody for being accused of instigating the burning of a barn by a Black teenager,...

Resident Jennifer Vickers grandparents home which is now a Klines Dairy Bar. (Photo courtesy of Northeast Neighborhood Association)
Urban Renewal intensifes to generational poverty in Black communities

The smoke from the fires that started in the 1950s and 1960s, destroying houses in the Northeast neighborhood,...

Sweet Joys Cakes and Desserts owner Naomi Joy Brazeil stands in front of her display of artificial flowers that she uses for cake decorations. I like having them up here, so we can see what we need. My aunt just came up here and helped me get something organized, Naomi Joy Brazeil said.
Sweet Joy’s Cakes and Desserts family bakery grows from foundations built throughout years
March 15, 2024

Sweet Joy's sweet history Sweet Joy’s Cakes and Desserts’ owner Naomi Joy Brazeil begins each...

The cover of the book SOLD written by Patricia McCormick
Author of 'SOLD', McCormick, shares journey, writing book about trafficking
March 7, 2024

The tune of Backstreet Boys floated around the women's shelter as American journalist Patricia McCormick...

Graphic by Jumana Alsaadoon.
Indigenous Virginians spread awareness ‘We’re still here’, fight for Federal recognition after ‘paper genocide’
February 13, 2024

“A lot of people don't even know we exist, have existed as tribes for this long. I think part of that...

Even though students arent allowed to use phones during the school day, listening to music when they are already on top of their school work isnt harmful.
Students should be allowed to access music, as learning tool
Wren Hamner, Staff Reporter • September 13, 2022
Journalism is found in so many different aspects of your everyday life that you may not even realize.
Why is journalism so important?
Adrian Kavazovic, Print Editor-in-Chief • September 8, 2022
The shooting at Robb Elementary School took the lives of 19 children, two teachers and left six in critical care.
U.S. reels from deadly Texas shooting, need for gun restriction more dire than ever
Clare Kirwan, Head Editor-in-Chief • May 27, 2022
View All
Poll

• Yes, I do (60%, 67 Votes)
  • We can improve (30%, 34 Votes)
  • No, I do not (10%, 11 Votes)

Total Voters: 112

Loading ... Loading ...

Marching band prepares for their upcoming competition

Marching band prepares for their upcoming competition indoors due to weather conditions

The marching band has been working at preparing for their first upcoming competition. The band encountered challenges that they’ve worked around in order to prepare effectively. 

Band director Daniel Upton has been making sure that his students and other marching band members productively work on the show. During today’s rehearsal, the band and other outdoor activities were mandated to stay inside for practice due to the harsh heat. 

“It was too hot, the heat index was too high. [The band’s] safety is our number one priority. I guess that we needed time to work on the music which we were probably gonna spend a portion of today and tomorrow inside anyway, just not the whole time. It’s the nature of the beast when you have an outdoor organization like this.” Upton said. “Despite the forced indoor conditions, we got a lot done musically, which we really needed to do.”

Weather is not the only challenge that the band has been faced with during the early season. Music that they’ve hoped to work on, was delayed in arrival causing the band to be behind. This didn’t stop them from working extra hard to get back on track. 

“During band camp our goal is to get about two thirds of the show done, usually the opener and the ballad, the slow movement, which we did and then we worked during the next couple weeks of school to get the closer incorporated so we’re on page with that. We got the finalized music for the closer just a little bit late, it put us just a little behind in that manner but we’re where we are normally at this time.” Upton said. “We’re finishing up putting the music and the closer together and then we got a portion of the drill done last week and then hopefully Thursday we’ll get more of that and ideally all the drill is in place for next saturday, if it’s not it’s not the end of the world and that happens for a lot of schools.” 

With their first competition of the season coming up, the band is hard at work and keeping their hopes high, not letting these obstacles get to the best of them. Along with the band, Upton has high hopes and big goals. 

“The goal is for us to get better every performance we have, and that’s our next performance. We would not have had one since the last football game. That’s a long span of time in between performing, so the odds are in our favor to meet that goal of performing better.” Upton said. “We’re going to have a lot more on the field, we’re going to have a lot more of the stuff incorporated, this is a competition we’ve not gone to before so it’ll be exciting to see some different programs. It’s early season so everyone’s in the same boat.”