Students, faculty attend Academic and Career Planning fair

Jiayi Li, Yearbook Managing Editor

On Tuesday, Jan. 25, students and parents attended Academic and Career Planning (ACP) night to learn more about the extracurriculars and courses provided at the high school. Students and teachers were able to advertise their clubs and sports, while others learned about the opportunities. This event has helped rising ninth to twelfth graders decide on future school activities and courses. Senior Crystal Rafael was one of the students who provided assistance for one of the extracurriculars, Educators Rising.

“[The] good thing was that a lot of people showed up, [asked] questions and actually engaged,” Rafael said. “We explained all we do in the club, and how it will benefit us in the future, how to prepare lesson planning and more about college education programs.”

Rafael helped advertise the extracurriculars and spread awareness about her program. The students that stopped by developed interest and a better understanding about it’s purpose. 

“I came to ACP night to help out my club be more known and let people know all we do in the club. They could learn about more clubs and classes offered at HHS,” Rafael said. 

Junior Cynthia Puerto also volunteered and learned more about the opportunities she could take advantage of in her senior year. Puerto volunteered at the marching band booth. 

“There were a couple of eighth graders interested in band, so that was fun [because] we always like getting new members,” Puerto said. 

A performance that caught people’s attention was the flash mob performed by the cast of the ‘CHICAGO’ musical. Sophomore Bazil Gibson was one of the students who participated in the performance. They’re role is Mary Sunshine, also known as the head reporter. 

“I performed in a flash mob advertising ‘CHICAGO’, which is happening [from Feb. 9 to Feb. 13]. We’ve been working on the dances at the flash mob for many, many weeks. I felt pretty good about [the performance]. We have been working on the dances and songs for a while, so I wasn’t really nervous,” Gibson said. 

Students from Thomas Harrison and Skyline Middle School came to explore all the opportunities our school has to offer. After visiting all the booths and stands, eighth grader Leslie Yang got a better understanding of what she wants to join in high school. 

“[I came] to learn about the classes and [extracurriculars]. I learned that there are a lot of classes that are not on the list I got, but they are cool. Now, I have a better idea of what to do,” Yang said.