Spears overcomes insecurities with acne scars, finds suitable skin care routine

Caleb Goss

Sophomore Kolbie Czajkowski inspects her skin. Czajkowski has her own skin care routine that she has followed and has found it to help her skin. “I had really good skin until I was fourteen. Then I had a period where my skin wasn’t great. I felt so ugly, but looking back it wasn’t as bad as I thought it was,” Czajkowski said.

Caleb Goss, Visual Content Editor in Chief

Skin care: the Mt. Everest of self care. A copious task so varied that to a beginner, it feels as though reaching the peak of the mountain is a lifetime away. With so many different routines and products, the formula to perfect skin is different for everyone, as it can be a roller coaster of ups and downs. For senior Spencer Spears, her journey on this mountain started off rocky. No matter what she tried, it ended in failure for her and her combination skin type. 

“I used to have pretty bad acne on my chin. I would take really good care of my skin: wash it, moisturize it, exfoliate it, face masks, I wouldn’t pop the pimples or anything like that. But for some reason, the acne wouldn’t go away. I also have very, very sensitive skin, so a lot of the products I tried out ended up messing up my skin even more,” Spears said. “I would use a product one time, and then my skin would break out for four to five days.”

After trying several products at once and not achieving the results she hoped for, Spears quickly learned that, in fact, there is such a thing as too much skin care. Cutting products out of her life, Spears has found the formula that works for her skin: Cetaphil and eucalyptus. 

“A few months ago, I realized that maybe I was doing too much skincare. So, I backed off a lot and now I just wash my face with water and Cetaphil twice a day: in the morning and before I go to bed,” Spears said. “I also put eucalyptus oil on any pimples and that dries them out pretty fast. I also use this charcoal face mask one to two times a week [which] helps keep my pores clear. I’ve noticed that for my skin, the less product the better, no matter how gentle the product is.”

Spears has always gone back and forth about how she feels about her skin. On one hand, she wishes her skin was clear, as at times, it makes her feel gross about herself. On the other hand, she recognizes that her acne is not as bad as it could be. With everyday apps like photoshop that can hide blemishes and completely change the structure of someone’s face, teens are pressured with societal expectations portrayed through social media to perfect clear skin. In a time where beauty is associated with perfection, Spears decided to acknowledge the imperfections.

“I think that it’s important to recognize other people’s pain and insecurities. Don’t dismiss someone because they appear to be much happier with themselves than you are. Everyone has their own insecurities, and you should be sensitive and aware of them,” Spears said. 

For those starting the journey of skin care, Spears advises to do background research on the products and know yourself because what might work for your favorite beauty influencer may not work for you. 

“Try different things out. Literally try all sorts of products, and the chances of you finding something that works for you are very high if you search around a lot. Keep in mind that