Miller named Class 5 Female Athlete of the Year

Senior+Hannah+Miller+%28second+from+left%29+competes+in+the+Dogwood+Track+Meet+in+Charlottesville+at+University+of+Virginia.+Miller+runs+for+the+Streaks+in+cross+country%2C+indoor+track+and+outdoor+track.+She+plans+on+continuing+her+running+career+at+Elon+University+in+the+fall.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior Hannah Miller (second from left) competes in the Dogwood Track Meet in Charlottesville at University of Virginia. Miller runs for the Streaks in cross country, indoor track and outdoor track. She plans on continuing her running career at Elon University in the fall.

Courtesy of Hannah Miller

Courtesy of Hannah Miller

Courtesy of Hannah Miller

Senior editor-in-chief Hannah Miller was named the 2019 Allstate Foundation/VHSL Scholarship recipient. A committee of athletic directors, media representatives and VHSL staff members selected Miller over 200 other nominations for this scholarship.

Recognized as the Class 5 Female Athlete of the Year in Virginia, Miller will attend a luncheon for this award Monday, May 20 in Charlottesville. She will be presented a Queen Anne Revere bowl and a letter confirming the scholarship. After hearing the news from VHSL, Miller found the confirmation to be beneficial her college’s cost.

“I was really excited because any extra money in this college process is helpful,” Miller said.

Miller will be attending Elon University in the fall, where she plans on running for the track team. As she finishes up high school, Miller continues to run for the Streaks after quitting soccer to compete in outdoor track.

“I think the award is fitting because I will have to leave the ceremony early for my regional track meet,” Miller said. “It’s kind of ironic.”

Being at her track meets and giving her advice on the sidelines, track coach Jerry Hertzler has witnessed Miller’s athleticism for five years.

“Her work ethic is just above and beyond. She is willing to do others what many athletes are not, and that’s a reason for many of her successes,” Hertzer said.

Hertzler knew Miller had a high chance of receiving the scholarship as he supported her through the process. He even counts himself lucky to have been around Miller throughout her high school years.

“She’s very well deserved,” Hertzler said. “I count myself a privilege to have coached her.”