Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Do you feel that HHS and our city are inclusive environments for all cultures/ethnicities?

• Yes, I do (60%, 67 Votes)
  • We can improve (30%, 34 Votes)
  • No, I do not (10%, 11 Votes)

Total Voters: 112

Loading ... Loading ...
Governor STEM Academy hosts biannual career fair
JV softball vs. East Rock 4/19/24

JV softball vs. East Rock 4/19/24

May 2, 2024

STEM holds third quarter steminar, career night

May 1, 2024

Spring play, directed by Gibson performs D.O.A

April 25, 2024

Opinion: Liberal arts education more beneficial than vocational one

The College of William and Mary is the second oldest liberal arts college in the country. Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.

While vocational education teaches students essential job skills and prepares them for a specific career path, a liberal arts education proves more beneficial.  Liberal arts yields rounded students who are apt for higher learning and job security, whereas a vocational education grooms students for one distinct field, and leaves little room for change or growth.

General knowledge provides a cross fertilization of ideas.  The fullness of the mind produces new ideas and a better understanding of each subject.  A liberal arts education teaches students how to think, and subsequently, how to learn.  By studying a variety of courses, students are exposed to different aspects of instruction and are trained to think critically.  A liberal arts education awards students the knowledge base and the analytical abilities to successfully handle challenging situations later encountered in the workforce.

A liberal arts education prepares students for the ever-changing economy, granting contingencies that would have been denied by a vocational education.  A vocational education produces students who are close-minded and only proficient in one trade.  Liberal arts students gain a wide range of talents that are flexible with most businesses and corporations’ demands.  Today’s employers are looking for applicants that are well-versed, have a universal skill-set, and are capable of retaining new information, aptitudes a vocational education cannot sustain.

The majority of high school students are not set in a profession they want to pursue.  In high school, students are still growing, maturing, and understanding their strengths and weaknesses. A vocational education prevents students from excelling in more than one field, eliminating the opportunity to learn and experience an occupation that best fits their potential. Vocational schools impel students in a certain direction, forcing them to select a particular occupation that may not be suitable for them.  Students could additionally choose a career that is declining and end up unemployed.

The benefits of a liberal arts education are clearly undeniable.  Vocational students are trapped in one career and cannot adapt as the economy evolves.  By obtaining a liberal arts education, students have access to many more options and gain invaluable competency.