Teachers visit students’ homes for conferences

A few times a year, Harrisonburg City Schools close for parent-teacher conference day. While most of these are held at the student’s respective school, it has recently become an option to have a conference outside of the classroom. These meetings not only allow for more flexibility for families, but they also provide an opportunity for a greater bond between a child and their teacher.

For English teacher Rosanna Johnson, home visits provide an opportunity to interact with both students and their families.

“Home visits are a way for teachers to connect not only with students but with families, and encourage them to do their very best,” Johnson said.

Johnson hopes that a positive message will be sent to her students.

“I want them to know that I care about them not only in school but also at home. I am taking time out of my day to see them and sit with them to try to encourage them,” Johnson said.

From her perspective, Johnson thinks that the home visits have more value than normal school conferences.

“You can talk about more things [at home visits], and usually mom or dad in the home wants to know a little bit more about you, and I can get to know more about them rather than having them coming into the building,” Johnson said.

For English teacher Jennifer Diggs, these meetings express her care for the wellbeing of her students.

“I want students to know that I care and that I’m invested in them. Also that I’m not just someone that’s in the classroom with them everyday, but that cares about them outside of it,” Diggs said.

Although Diggs appreciates the value of home visits, she feels that there must be a certain level of understanding to make them work.

“I think that both students and parents have to be comfortable with that idea of a teacher coming into their house and learning more about them, but also knowing that these aren’t always negative,” Diggs said.

Night school teacher Linda Blackwell thinks that home visits not only provide a stronger connection, but they also allow for more scheduling flexibility.

“Home visits are to make contact, not just for negative, but positive also. They are to connect with families, because it’s a great opportunity to meet. Sometimes people can’t get here, so you can make an arrangement to go to their house and speak with them about any concerns or praises that you have with their student,” Blackwell said.

Blackwell feels that these special meetings can be better than regular conferences in some cases, and that they can also be beneficial culturally.

“With some families it is very easy for them to get here, so for the ones that can’t I think it’s really important to be able to reach out and go to them. It gives a more personal touch than just the families having to come here and meet with us here because you actually are in their home. Some cultures look at that differently, too, and think it’s more of a personal connection when you come to their home than when they come here,” Blackwell said.

While she understands they are not possible for all students, Blackwell thinks that home visits provide insight into a student’s life at home.

“If it was feasible, [I would recommend home visits to all students], but with the time constraints I don’t think it’s possible to do it. I do think it’s a nice way to have a better picture as a teacher, to be able to see what the home environment is like for the student. You can have a more [complete] picture of what their life experience is and not just what we see here at school,” Blackwell said.