Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Do you feel that HHS and our city are inclusive environments for all cultures/ethnicities?

• Yes, I do (60%, 67 Votes)
  • We can improve (30%, 34 Votes)
  • No, I do not (10%, 11 Votes)

Total Voters: 112

Loading ... Loading ...

Opinion: Teachers should not cut in lunch line

Cafeteria workers stand ready to serve food. Photo by Phillip Bannister.

Every person in the high school (including teachers) knows the pain and contained anger of standing, hungrily, patiently in a lunch line, only to be cut by an immoral freeloader. Calling out a cutter comes with such stigma and requires such commitment to the cause that most students suffer their silent fate.

The problem is rampant. If not a big enough issue for the administration to take action, it certainly requires no encouragement. However that is exactly what it receives.

For whatever reason, bureaucratically justified I’m sure, teachers often snag a tray and use their adult magic to appear at the front of the line. The resemblance of this phenomenon to student line cutting is suspiciously identical and more obnoxious.

I understand that these hardworking teachers deserve privileges and that they’re probably off to accomplish some necessary task. Whatever. The problem is the example it sets for the student body. Today I watched a teacher swoop through a huge line. She was promptly followed by two girls who slid to the front and proceeded to delay the line for minutes with their pickyness. The girls, in the wake of the teacher, went blatantly unchallenged by the kitchen staff.

Whatever the reason for the line slicing, the apparent childishness sends ripples of bad vibes throughout the cafeteria. Whereas patience would send a message of responsibility and thoughtfulness. And if the speedy lunch really is required, hit a smaller line, pack, or come before the bell. Stop setting a bad example, it hurts the students who choose not to abuse the system.

View Comments (10)