Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Do you feel that HHS and our city are inclusive environments for all cultures/ethnicities?

• Yes, I do (60%, 67 Votes)
  • We can improve (30%, 34 Votes)
  • No, I do not (10%, 11 Votes)

Total Voters: 112

Loading ... Loading ...
Senior Johanna Mayfield performs Suite for Piano, Mvts. III & II by Norman Dello Joio.
Tri-M host first recital of the year 5/8
Miguel Lopez, Copy Editor • May 17, 2024

Senior Giovanni Anselmo throws the ball in.
Boys Varsity soccer vs Millbrook
Makayla Suffecool and Elsie Corriston May 13, 2024

JV girls packs bags after the match finished.
JV softball vs. East Rock 4/19/24
Miguel Lopez, Copy Editor • May 2, 2024

School split could impact language offerings
Phoenix Siedel, Staff Reporter • May 14, 2024

Correction to the original article in the Newsstreak print issue "A New Era" published May 9th, 2024:  ****Italian 2 and 3 and ASL are being...

Chris Hulleman presents about how he and his wife works with data science.
Governor STEM Academy hosts biannual career fair

Every year, the Governors STEM Academy hosts a STEMinar each quarter. For the third quarter STEMinar,...

A historical marker on Court Square in memorial of the lynching of African-American woman, Charlotte Harris
Project uncovers hundreds of lynching victims over decades

Charlotte Harris was in custody for being accused of instigating the burning of a barn by a Black teenager,...

Resident Jennifer Vickers grandparents home which is now a Klines Dairy Bar. (Photo courtesy of Northeast Neighborhood Association)
Urban Renewal intensifes to generational poverty in Black communities

The smoke from the fires that started in the 1950s and 1960s, destroying houses in the Northeast neighborhood,...

Sweet Joys Cakes and Desserts owner Naomi Joy Brazeil stands in front of her display of artificial flowers that she uses for cake decorations. I like having them up here, so we can see what we need. My aunt just came up here and helped me get something organized, Naomi Joy Brazeil said.
Sweet Joy’s Cakes and Desserts family bakery grows from foundations built throughout years
March 15, 2024

Sweet Joy's sweet history Sweet Joy’s Cakes and Desserts’ owner Naomi Joy Brazeil begins each...

The cover of the book SOLD written by Patricia McCormick
Author of 'SOLD', McCormick, shares journey, writing book about trafficking
March 7, 2024

The tune of Backstreet Boys floated around the women's shelter as American journalist Patricia McCormick...

Graphic by Jumana Alsaadoon.
Indigenous Virginians spread awareness ‘We’re still here’, fight for Federal recognition after ‘paper genocide’
February 13, 2024

“A lot of people don't even know we exist, have existed as tribes for this long. I think part of that...

Even though students arent allowed to use phones during the school day, listening to music when they are already on top of their school work isnt harmful.
Students should be allowed to access music, as learning tool
Wren Hamner, Staff Reporter • September 13, 2022
Journalism is found in so many different aspects of your everyday life that you may not even realize.
Why is journalism so important?
Adrian Kavazovic, Print Editor-in-Chief • September 8, 2022
The shooting at Robb Elementary School took the lives of 19 children, two teachers and left six in critical care.
U.S. reels from deadly Texas shooting, need for gun restriction more dire than ever
Clare Kirwan, Head Editor-in-Chief • May 27, 2022
View All
Poll

• Yes, I do (60%, 67 Votes)
  • We can improve (30%, 34 Votes)
  • No, I do not (10%, 11 Votes)

Total Voters: 112

Loading ... Loading ...

Classes collecting soap, other supplies for Haiti relief

Haiti days after a devastating earthquake caused several buildings in its capital Port Au Prince. Photo courtesey of Johann Zimmermann.

Although the earthquake in one of the world’s poorest countries, Haiti, occurred more than two months ago, classes at HHS are still collecting relief supplies to make into health care kits. Coordinated by Key Club Sponsor Maurizio Antonnicola, teachers in the building have been asking their classes to contribute to the kits.

“Key Club will be assembling the kits as soon as the supplies are collected,” Antonnicola said. “Then the kits will be shipped to Louisiana and then on to Haiti to be distributed.”

Math teacher Tricia Cummings has been collecting bars of soap, and offered extra credit to entice her students to bring in bars.

“I offered one point of extra credit for each bar of soap students brought in, but the maximum points they could earn was ten,” Cummings said. “Some of the kids don’t need the extra credit, but contributed to the cause anyway.”

“[Cummings] only gives extra credit through our game, ‘Search for Gold’, so this is a good chance to get some extra points,” senior Elisha Hill said. “In the game, most times you are limited to five points per prize.”

Cummings’ 62 students have accumulated between 100 and 150 bars of soap. Junior Carley Shears was the first student to bring in soap for the relief efforts in Cummings class.

“I wanted to help with the relief efforts and get some extra credit,” Shears said. “So I brought in two bars of soap.”

In the library, all fines collected during the week of February 15 were donated to the Haiti relief efforts. Overdue materials cost the students five cents for every day late.

“We donated $23.40 to the Haiti cause,” library secretary Bradley Walton said. “I would say students were probably just paying the fines, not donating to Haiti.”

Math teacher David Rush has been collecting laundry soap, but his methods of persuading students were different from Cummings.

“I didn’t offer extra credit or anything, I just asked the kids to help people,” Rush said. “We have about 50 soap bars at this point.”

Rush also offered for his students the option of bringing in money and then he went to the store and purchased soap bars in bulk. His third block, A-day class has been the most generous with donating so far.

One of Rush’s students, sophomore Taylor McDonnell said Rush, “made one class feel guilty for not bringing stuff in” to support the efforts. But the guilt worked, because students started bringing in supplies.

Art teachers Jauan Brooks and Kelley Shradley-Horst have not had as much success in getting students to donate. Although the teachers themselves have purchased toothbrushes, nail clippers and soap, students taking art have not been as interested in helping out.

“I think people are just tired,” Brooks said. “Plus, we haven’t had much school recently, so it’s been hard to get the kids interested.”

Brooks noted that with a new group of students this semester, she does not know many of the kids that well yet, but believes students will start contributing now that we are back in school.

“I brought in 12 bars because it’s all for a good cause and I really wanted the extra credit,” Hill said. “I didn’t get extra credit for two of the bars, because you could only earn up to ten points, but it will still help somebody.”