Musical 2014: Pit musicians provide integral piece

Rafael Snell-Feikema, Online Editor-in-Chief

The yearly HHS Musical production is no small feat. Aside from the obvious work done by the cast members and the directors, much of this happens behind the stage – and in the case of the musical’s pit orchestra, this is a literal statement.

Sitting behind the stage are seventeen musicians from the HHS student body, as well as one director, assistant band director and Music Theory teacher Ian Richard and an assortment of hired hands. These unseen instrumentalists spend weeks practicing the intricacies of the play’s score. They will play for almost three hours each night of each performance, and have played similar lengths each night at rehearsals. All to help the production.

“I do not get paid, but since there are only a few cellos at school I feel like I have a responsibility to give my musical input,” freshman cellist Cecily Lawton said.

For some, further impetus to participate in the pit orchestra comes from the simple chance to be able to play their instrument of choice in a group setting for a little more time each day.

“I always want more practice for my instrument and I love being involved with the productions,” sophomore bassist Neil Perrine said.

Although the pit orchestra does not receive the same publicity as the cast of the musical, there are other benefits that recenter the balance. Orchestra members do not have to face the audience and overcome their timidity, and the pit has an enjoyable tradition: purchasing and sharing food around the pit.

“I’ve done both [cast and pit] over the years and the biggest benefit of pit is definitely pit food,” Perrine said.

Scrunched behind pieces of the set and a couple curtains, hidden from sight with low lighting and a tangled series of wires hanging off of stands and leading to microphones, cameras and monitors, there is thus a small community made up of these players.

“It’s only my first year doing it and I’ve just started playing the cello. This is the most difficult music I’ve learned but it’s easy to get up to speed with the help of all the other people in the group. [Pit] is really fun and the people are super nice,” junior cellist Marcy Nevin said.

The musical could not go on without a soundtrack — and the cast is correspondingly grateful.

“I love the pit. The pit is hands-down some of the most talented people we have at our disposal and they’re incredible,” senior cast-member Deb Halpern said.