Opinion: Bruno Mars’ performance a quality surprise

Julexus Cappell, OpEd Editor

I am not a huge fan of Bruno Mars. Most of his music is the typical Top 40– but man, he sure did kill his performance at the 2014 Super Bowl. I mean, I expected him to blow it. I even thought they should have had a ‘better’ performer… especially considering that Beyoncé was the gig last year. Instead, he came out with natural talent and enthusiasm. I can appreciate that even though I’m not a habitual listener to his music.

Another great point to add would be that most singers do not sound as great live as they do recorded. Bruno Mars, however, sounded phenomenal. There was a slew of people on social media saying it should have been someone else, that they did not like it, and so on. I think people should applaud Bruno Mars and recognize talent when they see it. Freshman Taya Whitley appreciated the throwback of his performance..

“I liked how [Bruno Mars] did a little old school. He didn’t do anything too crazy,”  Whitley said.

Then, out of nowhere (or at least to me) the legendary band Red Hot Chilli Peppers came out– plot twist. I definitely wasn’t expecting that, and neither were most people. Some students have been fans of the bands for years, and others had no idea who they even were. Some students did not really care for them at all.

“I didn’t really like how the Red Hot Chilli Peppers came out on stage,” Whitley said.

The performance great overall. The charisma and the crowd was outstanding, and both performances were amazing. My prior knowledge of the Red Hot Chilli Peppers probably helped me appreciate the performance. I’m giving credit where it is due on this one. Great job, Bruno Mars.