Massanutten Ski Resort is a winter hotspot

A+view+of+the+Massanutten+slopes+during+a+nice+winter+day.+

A view of the Massanutten slopes during a nice winter day.

Faith Runnells, Sports Editor

Many people in the town of Harrisonburg are fortunate enough to live so close to Massanutten resort, a four-season resort, but especially known for its winter season of skiing and snowboarding. With the resort only a total of about 15 to 20 minutes from the town itself, it makes for an easy day or night trip.

There are a total of 14 slopes offered at Massanutten, including three of the easiest trails, labeled with a green circle, six of the medium-difficulty trails, labeled with a blue square, three of the hardest trails, labeled with a black diamond, and two terrain parks.

Junior Hannah Durden has worked at Massanutten in a program called ‘Slope Sliders’ previously in past years and has enjoyed it.

“I basically just work with the kids and help them learn to ski. We work from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. with two breaks. I really like it, and the people I work it with are awesome,” Durden said.

Sophomore Abner Johnson has been snowboarding for six years now, and Massanutten is a regular stop during the winter time.

“I go to [Massanutten] pretty often. I love snowboarding season because you can go whenever, and I always get a season pass so I can go as much as I want,” Johnson said.

The season skiing and snowboarding passes offered at Massanutten include an ‘Adult Season full pass’, which allows you to go to the resort at anytime it is open throughout the entire season for 450 dollars. There is also the special value pass, which is priced at 219 dollars, and allows you to ski or snowboard anytime Friday through Sunday, except holidays, and any night.

Massanutten does not only offer the slopes, but also offers snow tubing, ice skating, and lodging. In other seasons, the resort includes an indoor and outdoor waterpark, a spa, a golf course, horseback riding, dining, and many other exciting activities.

Overall, it is a great place to visit at any time of the year, but is especially known for it’s winter season.